On the posting of automated translations

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I am certainly interested if you have any suggestions as to how we could determine proficiency.

I like CN's idea of putting something in the sig. I might try it and see if I start a trend ;)
It would not have to be exclude having a standardised field above or below the location.

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Some sort of test, naturally. E.g. we'll all translate some obscure, difficult passage of Latin (one with no translations available for it online). Then, once everyone submits their version, we'll collaborate to form an authoritative translation, noting any ambiguities and such, and grade the rest based on the agreed-upon interpretation(s).

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I am up for it, if you can come up with something appropriate.

The problem as I see it doesn't occur so much with Latin to English, as with English to Latin, which is a different skill. It might be more appropriate to test the latter. Some of the problems we would have to solve include how to grade new members and how to account for changing skill levels.
We could, I guess, have a monthly or quarterly challenge, and display the rankings from it.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

On second thoughts, is it really necessary? I mean, I’d say that only Imber’s translations can be taken without a pinch of salt. I’ve seen all the rest of us make plenty of silly mistakes.

We really just tend to make suggestions, then other members either confirm their accuracy or propose improvements. In the end, the OP will have at least three people agreeing on a final version. At that point, they can confidently use the translation, whether the contributors are me, Bitmap, Socratidion, Cinefactus, etc., etc.

B

Bitmap

socratidion dixit:
And if I received half the smug sarcasm that I have seen on the Latin forum, I would, delicate soul that I am, feel quite stung; I would deeply resent Flybynight or Whassup questioning my decision to have a tattoo, or criticising my choice of motto, or mocking my interest in the language
num exagitare licet stultos qui stulta requirant?
demus stigmatibus dedecorare cutem!

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Up front: I oppose the suggestion that we should have any kind of expertise ranking.

Relative anonymity offers us all a kind of freedom. For me it is priceless to be able to interact with other forum members, younger, older, still learning or vastly experienced, from a position of equality, where nothing is taken for granted, where no-one has authority and everything can be questioned, where positions must be defended and mistakes can be made.

Maybe I'm just being naive: maybe we all really know how proficient everyone is by now, and maybe we behave accordingly. But the anonymity still sort of works for me, and so I oppose any further attempt to make our status more explicit.

(PS Imber is not always right...)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I notice that we haven't had many comments on the posting of machine translations... We can alter the forum rules to be more lenient according to the will of the people...

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

...and another thing: no way am I taking any kind of test. At a certain point in my life I swore that I would never again take any kind of exam. I have kept that oath so far. Also, I can think of nothing worse than having a spirit of competition invading this site. A monthly test? Give me strength...

What to do about the tattoo requests? Accept that the system may not deliver perfect results every time. Many versions of varying quality may be proposed, but we always seem to be able to correct the mistakes, and offer something which works grammatically. What the OP then does, who knows? You can lead a horse to water...

Cinefactus says he has no interest in tattoos, but I hope he doesn't underestimate their importance in providing a continuous flow of interesting problems, whose solution may not always (alas) interest the OP, but which stimulate the very discussion, the thinking-out, the to-and-fro debate which I believe he does value. That, to me, is the 'payment' that we get for this free service.

(Homework-dodgers are a slightly different case. I think you're a bit rough on them, but I understand why. Some bland formula like: 'we are not convinced this is your own work, and so are unable to help you at this time' would probably be better than the telling-off, but maybe that's just me being English.)

PS I looked at that thread from IBBO about Never retreat... Poor guy, never really got it. It's frustrating, but I still don't think it's really his fault. Just ignorant and inexperienced; he was, at least, always polite.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

After I finished my fellowship I swore I would never sit for another exam. Then I started an Arts degree ;)

socratidion dixit:
Cinefactus says he has no interest in tattoos, but I hope he doesn't underestimate their importance in providing a continuous flow of interesting problems...
Certainly that is the reason why we have continued to provide this service.

socratidion dixit:
(Homework-dodgers are a slightly different case. I think you're a bit rough on them, but I understand why. Some bland formula like: 'we are not convinced this is your own work, and so are unable to help you at this time' would probably be better than the telling-off, but maybe that's just me being English.)
We had a run of these for a while. They would always put up the Google translate output, word for word, and then claim it was their own work. When we provided them with help, they just provided more machine translations. After spending hours attempting to help one culprit, I must admit I became somewhat pissed off when I realised what he was doing...

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I was thinking that all new users must read through the rules and take a quiz on their reading comprehension skills. This way, they will fully understand what is expected of us.

Yes, my post count is inflated (and so is JaimeB's) thanks to this forum. Therefore, post counts are not an accurate indicator of one's skill in translating.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

OK who is the troll?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I say, banish the troll (and possibly do an IP block as well)!

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It is hard to believe it is a coincidence coming after this post, while posting an internet translation, using intertran rather than Google as a translator, requesting a translation which was asked 2 days ago, disregarding our advice on formatting a header, not to mention requesting the most trite and commonly requested translation of all time...

Other suspicious points are the correct grammar, complete sentences, absence of spelling errors & text speak and the unusual omission of, "Latin is a really cool language and I love it intensely, although I have never actually studied it" ;)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

We will know for certain if the next request is, Alis volat suo, (She flies with her own wings for those who don't speak Latin) ;)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Must be right. It came from Google.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Might as well add this to the list of examples of why we ban posting these translations.