Only the strong survive

A

Anonymous

Would someone please be kind enough to offer your expert opinion on what translation is actually correct. I am wanting to translate "only the strong survive" and have been given two alternatives.
Fortes soli supersunt
Fortes soli supersites sunt
Which one is correct and offers better grammer.
Your help will be greatly appriciated.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Re: translation help please

Both look fine to me.

A

Anonymous

Imber, Thanks you so much for your reply.
Which do you think has the better grammer, or would be the more accurate way which it should be written?
I spoke with a professor from an Australian university and he advised the Fortes soli supersunt is probably more accurate, however I also spoke with a translator / lecturer who gave the other option of Fortes soli superstites sunt

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Imber Ranae dixit:
Both look fine to me.
To me likewise.

Semper Fortis

I would really appreciate some help to translate this sentence as correct as possible. It has to be translated literally and not just 'something similar'.
The version which I like most is:

"Solum fortis supervivit"

But I'm really doubting how to conjugate the verb "supervivere". "Supervivit" should be "third-person singular present active indicative".

I would be very thankful for a little help, as it would be quite embarrassing to wander around with some nonsense written on my arm, for the rest of my life :)

Regards,

Dave the Dane

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

What about the other way around:
nemo nisi fortis superest
no-one unless he is strong survives

Semper Fortis

Well check out here: THREAD: only-the-strong-survive

These two have been suggested:

Fortes soli supersunt
Fortes soli supersites sunt
"Supersunt" is from the verb "supersum" which is another word for survival... I prefer "supervivere" which is - as far as I'm concerned - a newer and more correct expression. My problem is that I unsure how to conjugate the verb so the whole sentence will be grammatically correct.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

But you wrote "superest" - that's also from the verb "supersum", but is that 3rd person singular?
Yes
I prefer "supervivere" which is - as far as I'm concerned - a newer and more correct expression. My problem is that I unsure how to conjugate the verb so the whole sentence will be grammatically correct.
supervivunt

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

But you didn't like my suggestion. The previous ones are plural.

Semper Fortis

But you didn't like my suggestion. The previous ones are plural.
Ok. But do you know if it would be correct to say "solum fortis supervivit"?? Or does it have to be "supervivunt"? Can you say it in singular? And is "the strong" in the English sentence plural? "Only the strong survive". I'm not English so it's a little difficult for me to tell :)

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Yeah, it's plural. The singular would be "only the strong survives", and it would sound unnatural without context.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

There are about thirteen or so unique forms of that word, but solum is what we need here.

Semper Fortis

There are about thirteen or so unique forms of that word, but solum is what we need here.
Ok. Thanks to all of you! I think it will be: "Solum fortis supersunt" or "SOLVM FORTIS SVPERSVNT" which is probably more authentic... Hope that would be as correct as possible!

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

That's ungrammatical. You want FORTES.