Order of the truth

Pelgrane Press

Do these words have the correct ending? It's supposed to be an order (like an order of monks) dedicated to truth. It's part of a tabletop roleplaying game.

Ideally, I'd appreciate a motto, too, something on the lines of "We know the truth so that you don't have to."

Thank you very much for your time.

Simon Rogers
<self-promo link snip>

admin edit: see Latin Forum Signature Guidelines

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Ordo is certainly the word you want. The Dominicans (the people who brought you the Inquisition) were, and are, the Ordo Praedicatorum, that is, the Order of Preachers. The Dominican motto is in fact Veritas, ("truth") and their emblem is entirely black and white, as are their habits. They were (and occasionally still are) known punningly as The Hounds of God (Domini Canes).

Ordo is nominative. Veritatem is accusative. If you want simply to say "The Order of the Truth" you would probably put the second word in the genitive: Ordo Veritatis.

As for your motto-- hmm. How about a slightly silly jingle:

Nobis est omnis Veritas.
Erras si nimis cogitas.
Omnes qui non rogant nos?
Incendete haereticos!

(The whole of truth belongs to us. You err if you think too much. All those who don't check with us? Burn the heretics!).

This help?

(On re-reading this post I am concerned that it suggests that I do not respect the OP. Nothing could be farther from--- well, from the truth. I in fact think very highly of the Order, and many of its members, and I acknowledge that I personally owe them a great deal. If you put a Dominican-like Order in your game, I hope that its members will, at least potentially, be good guys).

Pelgrane Press

Iynx dixit:
...If you want simply to say "The Order of the Truth" you would probably put the second word in the genitive: Ordo Veritatis.

Nobis est omnis Veritas.
Erras si nimis cogitas.
Incendete haereticos!

(The whole of truth belongs to us. You err if you think too much. All those who don't check with us? Burn the heretics!).

...in your game, I hope that its members will, at least potentially, be good guys).
Thank you very much - extremely helpful. They are the good guys, although they occsaionally use dubious tactics - they are fighting a group called the esoterrorists, who are attempting to breech the Membrane and cause Horrors to come into being. As for the motto - I think "The whole of the truth belongs to us" is possibly too arrogant for them. Something like "We defend the truth." or "To defend the truth, we conceal it."

Incidentally, can I have your name for the credits?

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

"We defend the truth." = Veritatem defendimus

"To defend the truth, we conceal it." = Ut veritatem defendamus, occultamus veritatem.

Notes:

1. That "we defend" is defendimus in the first sentence and defendamus in the second is not a typo; the first is indicative, but the Latin requires the second to be subjunctive.

2. A more literal translation of the second sentence might be Ut veritatem defendamus, eandem occultamus, but repeating the word for truth seems better to me, rhetorically, than using the pronoun.

A

Anonymous

Burn the heretic et cetera :] -->

Oh - I got one here! -->

How about this 'evil' jingle (Warhammer 40k):
"Burn the heretic
Kill the mutant
Purge the unclean"

:twisted: :badgrin: :dancing:

I'd appreciate it, thank you! Have a nice day/evening/night!

//U.Tham, destitute knight

Iynx dixit:
Ordo is certainly the word you want. The Dominicans (the people who brought you the Inquisition) were, and are, the Ordo Praedicatorum, that is, the Order of Preachers. The Dominican motto is in fact Veritas, ("truth") and their emblem is entirely black and white, as are their habits. They were (and occasionally still are) known punningly as The Hounds of God (Domini Canes).

Ordo is nominative. Veritatem is accusative. If you want simply to say "The Order of the Truth" you would probably put the second word in the genitive: Ordo Veritatis.

Nobis est omnis Veritas.
Erras si nimis cogitas.
Incendete haereticos!

This help?

(On re-reading this post I am concerned that it suggests that I do not respect the OP. Nothing could be farther from--- well, from the truth. I in fact think very highly of the Order, and many of its members, and I acknowledge that I personally owe them a great deal. If you put a Dominican-like Order in your game, I hope that its members will, at least potentially, be good guys).

Pelgrane Press

Iynx dixit:
"We defend the truth." = Veritatem defendimus
The unfortunate intials preclude this one!

Iynx dixit:
"To defend the truth, we conceal it." = Ut veritatem defendamus, occultamus veritatem.

A more literal translation of the second sentence might be Ut veritatem defendamus, eandem occultamus, but repeating the word for truth seems better to me, rhetorically, than using the pronoun.
Thank you. I can use the former. Let me know what name you want for the credits, or I'll just put Iynx.

Simon

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I hadn't noticed the initials! One of the nice things about Latin is that the word order is very flexible; we could also say Defendimus Veritatem.

Iynx is fine. I did send a PM with my real-world name, did you not get it?

Pelgrane Press

Iynx dixit:
I hadn't noticed the initials! One of the nice things about Latin is that the word order is very flexible; we could also say Defendimus Veritatem.

Iynx is fine. I did send a PM with my real-world name, did you not get it?
I didn't. Please email it to [email protected].

Simon Rogers
Pelgrane Press Ltd

Pelgrane Press

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but the game we are working on is ready for lay out, and I still don't have your real name. My message box is empty. I'd be happy to send you a free copy when it is released.

Simon