Patencium

stdape

Can anyone tell me meaning of this can not find in my books. Just need a basic understanding of what it means in English

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It looks like a medieval misspelling for patentium, but I'd need to see the context to be sure.

C and t were sometimes confused before i in medieval Latin, because they were then pronounced the same in that position.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I will write this out expanding all the contractions as I had trouble with square brackets in my last post.
Episcopus virtute litterarum Domini Regis patencium ...
The bishop, by virtue of letters patent of our Lord the King, ...

stdape

Again thankyou. One question when transcribing a latin document, or any latin, it is not an exact science? I mean even though the same in context, but the precise layout could differ? If that makes sense.
Also i am really struggling to get Latin or any other language into my pea brain, is there any Book you would reccomend to help? Other than the idiots guide to latin lol, seen a few some are too quick through things without explaining.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

People here say otherwise, but I would recommend Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata. It’s a very genius book.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I will write this out expanding all the contractions as I had trouble with square brackets in my last post.
Episcopus virtute litterarum Domini Regis patencium ...
The bishop, by virtue of letters patent of our Lord the King, ...
Brilliant.

stdape

Will look into it thankyou, strange because i am pretty quick learning things, but Languages never seem to digest well. Maybe that little grey cell is dead lol.

Big Horn

Litterae patentes=letters patent. Nom. Sing. is patens. (Niermeyer)

Here's another method of learning Latin. The Amazon description contains an excerpt long enough to see if it's to your taste. Add a good grammar (Hale & Buck is good for the tyro).

Black's Law Dictionary can be very helpful. It's full of pithy treats. There are less expensive but original editions

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Going back to the question about how much leeway you have in translating a Latin document, the reason I like translating old legal documents is that the text follows a standard format, so the Latin is formulaic, and so is the translation. Classical and ecclesiastical Latin are a different matter!