Pathetic Mistranslations

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't remember any of those quotes in our dub. o_O Lucky.

RobertusSitiens

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The show "The Walking Dead" (which I love) just unveiled a badge which reads "ERO RESURGAM", and show reps officially report it to say "We will rise again", which of course should be "RESURGEMUS". The sad thing is that in the context of the show, I would have bought "I will be. I will rise again." Maybe they just shouldn't have told us what the intended translation was.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

To me it sounds more like "I'll rise again for my master."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Lol. And who's the master of the living dead? The Devil? :devilsmile:

Personally, upon first reading it, I thought it was a typo for ego resurgam.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Lol, I don't know, why the devil? :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

What, would it be Jesus? It could make sense after all, since he both brought dead people back to life and himself rose again...

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Some atheists infact say that we Christians adore a zombie. But I think zombies are more about the voodoo religion, not sure. :confused:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Initially, yes, the term comes from voodoo. Though here they mention another possible origin, but until now I'd always heard voodoo.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh I didn't know the creole one too.

Stultus Jacobus

• Patronus

In the new Mad Max movie one of the main character's names is a lady named Imperator Furiosa. This bothered me a lot more than it rightfully should.

Stultus Jacobus

• Patronus

Maybe the character in question is intentionally of ambiguous gender. I wouldn't know.
Well she's very clearly a woman. Everyone calls her "she" and "her." I didn't know this could be done intentionally, I dont recall having seen something like this before, I just thought it was Latin gibberish.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I didn't know this could be done intentionally.
I think most people would agree that in Latin it can't; I was looking for some justification, however slight, for the masculine noun with a feminine adjective; gender ambiguity might be regarded as one justification for it.
But there's potentially another reason. In French, for example, we encounter phrases such as la directeur artistique or madame la directeur, where directrice would ordinarily be expected. It's a way of challenging potentially divisive gender distinctions in job titles. Referring to a woman not as an imperatrix but as an imperator could be regarded as the same kind of thing.