Pathetic Mistranslations

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Not sure if this even qualifies as "mistranslation" more like "mock latin"
The Red Green Show (canadian TV Show) - official Possum Lodge Oath - each episode ends with recitation of the oath

Quando omni flunkus moritati (suppose to mean "When all else fails, play dead.")

Andrea Vitoripa

It's not Latin, but one of the worst things I remember seeing was in an anime I watched a few years ago. It was a steampunk/sci-fi series about giant airships, and to add to the dramatic effect they had everything written in the movie using ancient Greek. Sadly, they apparently didn't even bother to have someone translate for them, and instead just slapped on whatever they found in the dictionary. See the below screenshot of one of the ships in the movie:

pic.PNG

The screenshot above is partly cut off, but the name of the ship on the right-hand side is (I'm assuming) supposed to be "δῐκαίᾱ πόλις" - "The Righteous City" However, they used the dictionary forms of both words, literally putting down "δῐ́καιος, ᾱ, ον πόλεω-ω"

Lol.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

WOW, what is that? Aldnoa or something?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Yeah, it’s that one, with the princess and stuff. Never finished it. :p

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Good to see you posting, amice! How's life in lockdown?

Notascooby

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I have always winced at the mixing of alphabets. :confused:Only the exceptionally ignorant could think it clever.
I'm sure I've read somewhere of a Roman writing his letter in Latin but using the Greek alphabet so that it was less likely to be understood if read by the courier/ intercepted.

As a very simple (though admittedly not very good) code it's quite cool.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Ouch!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus