Pen Pal Group?

MelpomeneMCM

Hi! I'm new to Latin D but I joined in hopes of finding someone(s) to be pen pals with me... we Can do this however (email, chat, etc.)! I just think its cool to write in latin and its really helpful too!

OctaviusCrabtree

It sounds nice. I need to practice my Latin a lot; I want to be a teacher of it, secondary or postsecondary. Message me if you wish to become a Latin pen pal and I will give you my email address.

MelpomeneMCM

Claudilla, that's a very good point! I was going to have an AP latin student check them with me. If you don't mind me asking, do you go to Chapel Hill? I'd really like to go there for Classics and I wanted an inside view...

It sounds nice. I need to practice my Latin a lot; I want to be a teacher of it, secondary or postsecondary. Message me if you wish to become a Latin pen pal and I will give you my email address.
I'm not sure how to do messaging but I followed you on twitter I think

Claudilla

Maybe since you are new you cannot message I did message you, if you can't access it I'll reply here, just let me know.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There's a certain number of posts under which you can't start a private conversation; I think that number is 25.

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Or you could try the Latin Skype groups. There are plenty of really good Latinists there who will correct your mistakes. Let me know if you're interested and I'll provide the details.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't know if I could keep up a conversation in Latin yet... :redface: I wish I could. We could talk in English though, and exchange learning efforts experiences...

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I don't know if I could keep up a conversation in Latin yet... :redface: I wish I could. We could talk in English though, and exchange learning efforts experiences...
Everyone finds it difficult to start with. The only way to get there is to start.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Writing is different because you have time to think things out. The first time I tried speaking Latin it was a struggle to get to the end of every sentence, and such a relief when I arrived.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Writing is different because you have time to think things out. The first time I tried speaking Latin it was a struggle to get to the end of every sentence, and such a relief when I arrived.

Oh.. you're talking about speaking! Right! I'd like to, but, for the moment, I don't have people to talk with... Perhaps there's a way with the internet. Do you guys do it? How do I envy those cities where there's a circulum Latinum! I've always been trying to make one in Rio de Janeiro, but Latin speaking Brazilians are so difficult to find!

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

For some reason, I thought this whole thread was new, but I see now that Dionysius Sidorius just revived it.

Amo ideam tuam))) Let's do it!
I cannot take credit for the idea. :D The Latin Skype groups have existed for ages. There is also one on Telegram if you use Telegram. I would be happy to share the details, but I do not wish to put them on the open forum since we've had issues with trolls gaining access to the groups in the past. I would send you a private message, but you don't have the required number of posts to enable that feature. Perhaps Cinefactus knows a way around that? Otherwise, start posting!

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

You should be able to start a conversation with a any member. It's just the ones without a certain number of posts who can't initiate them.

Petrus Cunīculus

That sounds cool! But then I saw this...

Find A Latin Language Pen Pal Now

Sorry, there are no Latin-speaking pen pals at this time.

Perhaps they are all dead... like they say about the language? ;)

I think a pen-pal is a great idea, but I think I agree with Claudia above, and I'm not good enough at writing yet to have one (without simply re-enforcing my mistakes). So I've opted to post pen-pal like writing into the Latin only forum. So far, Pacifica has given me wonderful corrections, which I really appreciate. I definitely have a lot to learn. I'm not sure what your writing level is, but you could follow a similar pattern if you're interested. It doesn't have to be complicated, and I'd love to read other people's writing (particularly about more recent events). I think it is a good way to learn vocabulary about every day topics, which I feel is something I am lacking in my studies. If getting replies in Latin is too intimidating, you could post in the Latin Beginner's group (I assume).