Peponem cordis loco habuit

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Someone in one of my communities asked what does a "heart of melon" means: is he dumb, is he stupid, is he soft hearted? Apparently Tertulianus says this of Marcion (Adv. Marcion. Lib. IV. cap. 40 Tertullianus was the refference he gave).

"Acceptum panem et distributum discipulis, corpus suum fecit 'Hoc est enim corpus meum' dicendo, id est figura corporis mei... Cur autem panem corpus suum appellat, et non magis peponem, quem Marcion cordis loco habuit, non intelligens veterem fuisse istam figuram corporis Christi."

I brought it here because I really don't know.

Last edited:

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I would guess 'soft-hearted', based on the size. That is, if the heart is the seat of pity (misericordia), then he must be a very merciful bloke?

That's a pretty cool expression, really (no matter what it means).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Given the context, my guess would be that it means the man is stupid. Why a watermelon was specifically chosen to denote that, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

A little less likely, perhaps, but I guess it could also refer to pride (the "swelling" of pride = the size of the watermelon).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I've just recalled something that may be relevant: in Petronius, the phrase cucurbitae caput is used as an insult, most likely meaning a stupid person. Cucurbita is defined as a "gourd" and pepo as a "watermelon or other gourd", so they're a similar kind of thing.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Ah, the good old all-purpose gourd. Melon? Marrow? Who knows? Given how flexible food terminology can be over various dialects, exactitude is elusive.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In French, a "gourde" is a clumsy, and also I guess a bit stupid, person.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Why does that make you sad, Bitmap?

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Cabeça de melão could be an insult in Portuguese... :think: