Per multa discrimina rerum Opinio Nvm Move Amve Venite digni Si diis placet Ie svs nobis omnia

Hello. I have found a print from early 17th century, with very small fonts intermixed into an image. The text is in Latin and seem to be written on the side of things in the image. I would need it translated...

Written on the side of a rope going into a well with a man hanging in the rope:
Per multa discrimina rerum

On the side of the well:
Opinio Nvm

Under a wagon:
Move Amvr

On the wagon:
Venite digni

Under a hatch:
Si diis placet

On the wagon:
Ie svs nobis omnia

On a line going up from an anchor:
Ignorantiam meam agnosco ivva pater

Beside a falling man:
Festina Lente

On a sword:
Cavete

Kosmokrator

Beside a falling man:
Festina Lente :)

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Per multa discrimina rerum is an allusion to Virgil's Aeneid,I , 204

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Si diis placet = if it pleases the gods.
Iesus nobis omnia = Jesus is everything for us.
Venite digni = come dign/worthy ones.
Festina lente = hurry yourself slowly.
Cavete = look out, be careful/vigilant (pl. "you", addressing several pers.)
Ignorantiam meam agnosco = I recognize my ignorance.
Iuva pater = father, help.

On both sides of the well: pvtevs opinionvm = well of opinions...

thanks all... but Per multa discrimina rerum is still a question... what does it mean and were can I find the book it alludes to on the internet ? what passage ? I know the page number but need to know more...

Thanks.. but does anyone else have an opinion on what Per multa discrimina rerum can mean, if written on the side of a rope going down a well, and a man hanging in the rope ?

Also.. Under a wagon:

Move Amvr

does this mean "it troubles we may be stirred" ?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's literally: "let us be moved" (transported by the wagon I guess, let us move, let us travel...).

EDIT: It's split in two parts in te picture, but it's one word: moveamur.

thank you... very helpful. I have some more text from the front page of the same book...

Ignorantia Inopia

Pelagus opinionum

Quaerite primum Regnam Coelorum

Ora Labora

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

per multa discrimina rerum = through many crises
This link takes you to a translation of the passage it comes from (Aeneas giving his men a pep-talk after a storm at sea) -- though the quote is not precise (tot instead of multa) .
http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/VirgilAeneidI.htm#_Toc535054294

The others (which are to be read as separate items?):
ignorantia inopia = ignorance <is> helplessness
pelagus opinionum = a sea of opinions
quaerite primum regnum coelorum = seek first the kingdom of heaven (emending regnam to regnum)
ora labora = pray, work

thank you... the per multa discrimina rerum sentance... how do you know this is taken from Aeneas ? Couldn't the connection be a coincidence ?

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

A fair question, but I think malleolus is right: Vergil is one of THE most well-known Latin poets, his works studied and revered and endlessly quoted. I did a quick search on theLatinLibrary.com to see if I got any other hits on the phrase, and didn't immediately. The only thing that stands against it is that in its misquoted form it doesn't scan as poetry. But people do half-remember things, and adapt things... It may have started as a Vergilian quote, then become proverbial.

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The original passage in Virgil reads Per varios casus, per tot discrimina rerum
tendimus in Latium and seems to have been universally known

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

quaerite primum regnum coelorum = seek first the kingdom of heaven (emending regnam to regnum)
This being an adaption of Matt 6:33 quaerite autem primum regnum et iustitiam eius, which is translated slightly differently in the KJV: Seek ye first the kingdom of God

Thanks you all for helping out. Please if you find some other connections between the phrases in this book and other work, please tell.

Can someone tell me were I can find original scan of the Virgil Aeneid Book 1 ? I mean scans of the original book, or at least scan from a 16th/17th century print of this poem story. I need to know if the sections of this book, with "Shelter on the Libyan cost" being an original section and not something divided in later versions of the story.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

... and yet your question can probably be answered, except that I don't quite know what it is. If you are asking: "That part of the book the quote comes from, are we sure it's included in the original poem, and is not a later addition", the answer is yes.

Though you can't see the 'original' poem, because it has disappeared into the dust of millenia, it was copied by hand many thousands of times, then copies were made of the copies, and copies made of those copies, until some copies were made, centuries later, that still exist. But they are (of course) full of copying errors. When any one of us reads the Aeneid now, we're reading a text that combines all the information from all those copies: some scholar has looked at all the different versions, compared them, weighed up which is most likely to be right, and printed that in a so-called 'critical edition'. All the variations, the 'errors', can be found in a bulky footnote at the bottom of the page (called the 'apparatus criticus'), so even if you don't trust the scholar's judgements, you can decide for yourself. These editions are mostly published in Oxford (Oxford Classical Texts, or OCT) or Germany (Biblioteca Teubneriana).

So, not quite the original manuscript, but the best we can do. Kind of miraculous that we can do it at all, don't you think?

The slight problem here is that much of this work has been done recently enough to be still in copyright, and so in theory you shouldn't be able to find a scan of it on the net. You can find editions of Vergil (e.g. on The Latin Library, or on Archive.org), but I haven't yet found one with an 'apparatus criticus'. Still, you could just go to a library, or ask someone who has a copy of an OCT, to check that nothing fishy is noted at the point you're interested in.

ok thanks.. but what I'm interested in is what versions of this poem was around central Germany in early 17th century, before 1618. I need to know what book Daniel Mögling (the author) read when, and if, he quoted Virgil in the print. What is also interesting to me is if the book(s) containing this poem/story during 16th/17th century (before 1618), was split in the same sections like in the link here http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/VirgilAeneidI.htm#_Toc535054294