Tattoo Perfectly Flawed

A

Anonymous

I would love for someone to help me in translating these 2 words for me.... "Perfectly Flawed"

I had it translated somewhere else and I would just like to see if what I get from here is the same so I know its right. I want this tattooed on me and I don't know the language so I can't tell if its right.

I will reveal the other translation after I see what someone here tells me. I appreciate it thanks. :mrgreen:

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Re: translation for me, please

I wonder why so many people lately are wanting tattoos done in Latin. I've really been thinking about this...none of them really knows the language, yet they feel like it's something important to have one done in that particular, so-called 'dead' language. Since the language isn't really spoken by anyone or taken seriously for that matter, what good does it to have a tattoo in it? Why not have it in a language you can understand, like English? Does that mean you consider Latin to be 'superior' than a vernacular? Or if you like ancient languages, have you considered ancient Greek, Hebrew, and Sanskrit first? I truly wonder why this is... :?

B

Bitmap

mattheus dixit:
I wonder why so many people lately are wanting tattoos done in Latin. I've really been thinking about this...none of them really knows the language, yet they feel like it's something important to have one done in that particular, so-called 'dead' language. Since the language isn't really spoken by anyone or taken seriously for that matter, what good does it to have a tattoo in it? Why not have it in a language you can understand, like English? Does that mean you consider Latin to be 'superior' than a vernacular? Or if you like ancient languages, have you considered ancient Greek, Hebrew, and Sanskrit first? I truly wonder why this is... :?
As far as I remember, we had that discussion in the other forum. I basically agree with you, but on the other hand I'm not sure if people who just join this board to get a quick translation will a) understand you and b) be willing to enter into that kind of discussion rather than consulting some other forum.
I do believe some phrases look really nice in Latin. I just can't understand the desire of some people to have such short - too some extent idiomatic -word groups like "perfectly flawed" translated into Latin when they are good as are and could only be spoiled in the attempt to translate them.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yes, whoever wants that phrase translated must truly be "perfectly flawed." The problem is that such persons don't even seem to bother to simply ask themselves 'why in Latin?' I believe there must be a deeper reason...I'm out to search the truth.

ok, this is what all tattooers should read first: POST: #28495

A

Anonymous

Well its funny that you ask. I had (notice the past tense) a latin speaker in my family and I always wanted to learn it but by the time I got around to learn it that person passed. I like the language and would like for someone to translate this for me.... Perfectly flawed. If you have the translation in in another language by all means let me see that too, if I like that better maybe I'll use that instead. Thanks.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

The best I can come up with for "flawed" would be culpabilis.
There are many words for "perfect" -- perfectus, -a, -um is as good as any.

culpabilis perfecte?

It might be understood, though, as "thoroughly at fault." You're trying to convey some irony here and that is not so easy.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

because it is a paradox...

Diaphanus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I was thinking of imperfectus perfecte, but that might not get at the desired sense.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Diaphanus, I think you're closer than I came. Maybe Laticia could clarify what is meant.

These two lines from the Paschale Praeconium came to mind:

O certe necessarium Adae peccatum, quod Christi morte deletum est!
O truly needful sin of Adam, which was blotted out by the death of Christ!

O felix culpa, quae talem ac tantum meruit habere Redemptorem!
O happy fault, that merited to possess such and so great a Redeemer!