Perficite fabulam

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd be glad to add something, but before, a small question:

Because it is preceded by an 'in' I consider it to be an ablative of the fourth declension... but 'spectu' is an ablative of what word?

Or is this a typo of inspectus est (most obvious guess).

Iamque femina inspectus est --> Already the woman was observed.

Me paenitet for asking, but WORDS fails to recognize 'spectu' and Perseus Latin is still down...

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh, I had assumed that the form without the a worked. Gratias ago, quidem sit aspectu.

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Also, in the first line, shouldn't it be Gallus miser nescivit? Why neuter?

Olim deus, Vulcanus, Gallo gladium pulchrum dedit, et Gallus miser nescivit, contra quos gladio pugnet. Itaque Gallus gessit bellum contra gentem aliam. Bello tamen, Gallus amorem neglexit. Hic neglectus Venerem irritavit, et sanguinem fervere valde egit, ut simulac videat feminam amore capiatur. Iamque femina in aspectu est, una sicut pulcherrima gemma in orbe terrarum. Confusionis impleto, Gallus hoc nescivit, quod facere.

To add:

Sed femina illarum gentum fuit, quae sociaverunt contra gladium Galli et Gallus noster decernit eam auferre. Itaque multa nocte, in vicum eius ivit et...

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"quod" should be quae. Edit: Also it should be confusionis impletus. This isn't an ablative absolute, mainly because it isn't separate from the main clause, i.e. it's describing the subject of the sentence. Example:
deo volente, te vincam. (ablative absolute, the participle modifiying deo, which is not a subject of the sentence.)
volens te vincam. (participle, the participle modifying the implied ego, which is a subject of the sentence.)
And to briefly continue I suppose:
et sanguine fervente cupidine diripuit corpus vehementer.

Too explicit?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

quemquem me facis dixit:
Wait, what exactly did you just try to say, stcinder?
I have "not knowing in what way" then I get a bit mixed up.
Andy was quite right... I was trying to think of how to say, "he didn't know what to do"

Did we decide that facere was the best way to translate this? What about something like se ducere?

JD

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

When did your name change and when did you become a moderator, Cinefactus?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I had been hoping to make a quiet entrance and stand unobtrusively somewhere up the back :oops:

It is with considerable trepidation that I agreed. I thought, in an attempt to prevent foot in mouth disease, I should adopt Proverbs 17:28 as my motto:

stultus quoque si tacuerit sapiens putabitur ;)

JD

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

This is VERY off topic, but is tacuerit perfect subjunctive or future perfect indicative here? Sorry, I've never actually seen the future perfect in print, so it'd be interesting to have finally seen it.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I would imagine it is future perfect, although I must admit I have come unstuck in the past with the perfect subjunctive ;)

The full verse is:
stultus quoque si tacuerit sapiens putabitur et si conpresserit labia sua intellegens

JD

Ioannes Moyses

Qmf: Non scio si explicitissima sit sententiam tuam, quia non hanc intellego.

Tu scripsisti:
et sanguine fervente cupidine diripuit corpus vehementer.

Estne "corpus" subiectum sententiae? Si sit, quid diripuit?

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Non corpus subiectum sententiae est, nam subiectum sententiae est ante verbum "et". Corpus est obiectum sententiae.

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Adsum.

Gentes vici atrox facinus compererunt et gladios levaverunt contra Gallum feminamque (qui iam foedata fuit). Gallus quoque gladium, donum Vulcani, levavit. Mox...

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Qui should be quae.
I think fuit should be erat. There are very few uses of fui that I have seen thus far. Also, if you think about it, the pluperfect passive of foedo is foedatus eram, etc., and that's really what you're using.

I've put in too many pieces of this IMO (along with significantly altering the plot, heh) so I'm going to concede this to someone else.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well, I gave 10 days...:)

Mox bellum sicut istud quod diremisse bellum putatum erat inter Latinos Troianosque surrexit magnum. Vitae cadebant plurimae et sanguis fluebat in Tibere. Socii hominum transierunt Stygem et Elysio ierunt quia heroes erant patriisque serviebant. Sed pauci bellatorum crudelissimi erant itaque fatis missi ad Tartarum sunt. Alia crudelia facta...

I hope that first sentence makes sense...The main clause is actually "Mox bellum...surrexit magnum."