Phonetic alphabet

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Do you know one or more, and do you ever use them?

I had an idea that Germans tended to use their version more often than anglophones used either the NATO alphabet or any of the myriad of others, because I'd met some who did, but a German teacher of English I know says she doesn't know or use it. Which made me realise that all those I'd heard using it were male, so perhaps they learnt it doing military service.

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
I need to use bits of the IPA for understanding the pronunciation of other Irish dialects. I'll probably end up relying on it more as I age.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Sorry, should have been clearer. I was thinking of the things like the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie etc. systems primarily designed to reduce ambiguity in oral communication, often by radio. Strangely addictive. I don't know if they exist in other languages apart from English and German.

Godmy

A Monkey
But, in TV shows where you are supposed to pick a letter and get a question where the answer is starting with that letter, the competitors often are required to say something along these lines: G as in "grandmother" or F as in "film" and so on (the word choice is entirely up to them). Rarely, this is used also elsewhere when somebody is unable to understand the sound (usually over a phone).

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I know a few bits and pieces from the NATO alphabet and a few from the German one ... although I wouldn't know all of the letters off the top of my head (e.g. I wouldn't know what Q is right now - in either one).

My mother knows the German one pretty well, I think, because she phones a lot.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius
I know a few bits and pieces from the NATO alphabet and a few from the German one ... although I wouldn't know all of the letters off the top of my head (e.g. I wouldn't know what Q is right now - in either one).

My mother knows the German one pretty well, I think, because she phones a lot.
In the NATO alphabet, Q is for a certain francophone Canadian province.
Quebec (and pronounced kay-beck)