Pierced For Christ

A

Anonymous

I've been searching for some time now to find a translation for Pierced For Christ. So far all I have come up with is perfigo idcirco Christus. I know this is very rough and probably doesn't even make sense so any suggestions are welcome. I like the sound of perfigo but again, if a better word fits feel free to toss it out there. I'm considering tattooing it on my side so if you aren't certain in your translation please tell me that too. The meaning behind the saying comes from slaves back in Biblical times. The owner of the slave would pierce the slave's ear with an awl to show ownership. I'm looking for anything that would translate to submission under Christ. Thanks for all the help.
T-Ray

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The Vulgate in Exodus 21:6 uses perforare for pierce.

Using this verb, assuming male sex, one translation would be:

"Christo causa perforatus (sum)"
(I have been) pierced for the sake of Christ.

As to the certainty of the translation, I would direct you to the disclaimer.

JD

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Iynx's translation is a good one. I'm also reminded of the famous line in Isaiah 53:5 "He was pierced for our offenses" (I think it's heard at Good Friday services, but don't quote me on that).

In this passage, St. Jerome translates it as vulneratus est propter iniquitates nostras. If you are looking to echo this line, perhaps Christo causa vulneratus (sum).

One note on "for" for students. I'm assuming, like Iynx, that the "for" in "Pierced for Christ" means "for the sake of"; this cries out for causa. The "for" in the KJV translation of Isaiah "He was pierced for our offenses" really means "because of, on account of", which is why Jerome uses propter. Finally, if you were considering pro as a possibility, realize this "for" is closer in meaning to "on behalf of, in the place of", which I don't think is what's intended at all.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick lesson on "for". That is deffinately the most confusing part to me.

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Iynx dixit:
I am honored, chjones, that you should attribute a post by StCinder to me; but the post to which you refer was in fact his, not mine.
Eeep...me paenitet, stcinder; I'll make a point not to repeat that mistake...

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Actually I was quite flattered ;)