Plural of Prius

scrabulista

Consul
Staff member
I just saw a commercial asking for the plural of Prius.

Here's the website:

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/prius-family/

The candidates are:

priuses, prium, prien, prii, prius.

I assume prien is the Germanic plural ending, as in "children" or "brethren."
prii is a wrongly assumed Latin plural.
I'm not sure where they get prium from. What language forms its plural with -um?
Maybe it's Hebrew cherubim, seraphim....that's a stretch though.
prius -- possibly influenced from 5th declension derivatives such as series....maybe if the plural seems awkward, just keep it the same, as in "deer."
priuses - this is the best of the alternatives I suppose.

We could suggest priora.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius
Toyota Proira sounds good, especially given the massive recalls the said automaker had to do, and it almost rhymes with Corolla.

scrabulista

Consul
Staff member
Bitmap PM'ed me and thought this topic was frivolous. Well, it is. Flame away, cut up, or offer a scholarly response.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I actually like "Proira" ... it's just that I feel this strange desire to purchase a Japanese car all of a sudden.

Maulrus

Out of beginner's curiosity: why is "Prii" wrong? I understand why "Priora" makes sense, but why can't "Prii" as well?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius
If the plural of filius is filii and the plural of radius is radii, then why is priora preferred over prii?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos
Staff member
Prius is a neuter comparative, third declension - it's declined like "tempus".

Maulrus

Nikolaos dixit:
Prius is a neuter comparative, third declension - it's declined like "tempus".
Yeah, I figured that as the origin of Priora. But why can't it be considered a second declension masculine?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos
Staff member
Coined as a new word? It's possible, but the fact is that they didn't coin a new word; they used an existing one. Otherwise, I think the English plural "priuses" would be better.

Maulrus

Nikolaos dixit:
Coined as a new word? It's possible, but the fact is that they didn't coin a new word; they used an existing one. Otherwise, I think the English plural "priuses" would be better.
Ohhh, I had no idea it was a real word, so I pretty much assumed we had freedom to decline it as we pleased. That makes sense, thanks!

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius
The official plural of Prius is Prii, thanks to a "broken" poll.
http://www.wheels.ca/article/asset/794023

Good thing that Romans did not have hybrid private motor vehicles. They are happy with equ[i-long:2772ewjs][/i-long:2772ewjs]. They do not want to argue over the plural of the name of a horseless vehicle manufactured by a company beyond the far eastern edge of the world.

Not many drivers know Latin well unfortunately. Priora however is not a popular choice, because of its connotations with the word "prior," meaning before (and it does not sound futuristic to marketers). I prefer Priora however.

Bonus Wishing Game Request:

I wish the plural of Prius is officially Priora, since it would sound well with Toyota (the pronunciation of Toyota Priora sounds good and memorable).

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius
So, simply adding plurals to Japanese words is butchering them.

Likewise, many East Asian languages are butchered by adding distinct plural forms from Indo-European languages.