Poem: For all my brothers

A

Anonymous

Hello all,

I'm looking for correct grammar and latin translation of the below text.

For all my brothers.
Juno salutes you.
Never forgotten.
Forever in mind.

This is what I got from an online translator:

Pro totus meus frater.
Juno titus vos.
Nunquam forgotten.
Forever in mens/mentis/animum/animus/mind.

I'm not sure which words to use and if it is correct.

A good friend of mine died 10 years ago and I am making up some jumpers to commemorate the 10th anniversary of his passing. Juno is the gang we had when at school and it has kept us together as friend's ever since, there are around 15 of us.

Any help will be much appreciated. And any alternatives to the above script is welcomed.
Thanks
Michael

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply,

it is most appreciated.

I forgot to include "Shine on" at the end. This is what I had translated by another:

Pro totis fratribus meis
Juno vos salutat
Nunquam oblitus
Semper in mente
Fulsi on.

And your's:

Omnibus fratribus meis:
Juno vos salutat.
Numquam e memoria excidetis,
Sed semper in animo remanebitis.

Can I use, and is it the correct word for shine on - Fulsi on / in? I think your version sounds better somehow?

Again thanks for your input. I want to get it right as it means a great deal me and others.
Regards
Michael Lam

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Can I use, and is it the correct word for shine on - Fulsi on / in?
Fulge is the correct word for "shine"; here, since you are addressing more than one person in "brothers", I think it should be fulgete (accent on the second syllable, ful-GAY-tay).

The "on" part makes for an interesting lesson in Latin verbs. The phrase "shine on" really means "keep shining, continue to shine". I think this argues for the prefix per being added to the verb, so for this I would recommend perfulgete - "shine on" (pair-ful-GAY-tay).

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I agree that fulgeo is a good word here, and I have no argument with Cato's suggested per prefix.

But in an attempt to enrich the discussion, let me put forward an alternative suggestion. There are numerous verbs in Latin called "frequentives"; the present infinitive active of a frequentive can be seen as derived from a particular form (called the supine) of a base verb by the addition of -tare, -sare, -itare, -titare, or -sitare. The frequentive in general describes the same action as the base form, in some sense, but the action is repeated, or intense.

If we are going to accept coinages, could we not express "shine on" by coining a frequentive fulgito, fulgitare, fulgitavi, fulgitatum, on the model of habeo /habitare? We could further emphasize our desire for ongoing shining by employing not the first but the second imperative:

Fulgitote!

It's a thought, but I'll have to admit that I like Cato's perfulgete better. It's second imperative plural would be perfulgetote.