Probitas Verces Honos

cheynetrain

Hi there,
Thanks in advance for your help on this, I hope I'm able to find someone with this knowledge!

When my grandfather passed, we found a "coat of arms" or family crest on a plate with the Latin phrase "Probitas Verces Honos" on it. I already know the translation of this would be something along the lines of "Integrity (or Honesty) is true honor."

My questions is about the word "Verces." When looking up this phrase, I often see "Verus" used, and I know about the word "Veritas" but maybe that has to do with the noun "truth" versus the adjective "true."

So is "Verces" the correct word here? Should it be "Verus?" I've never seen any other use of the word "Verces" so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me!

Thanks so much.

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

Verces isn't a word as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it should be verus.

cheynetrain

Thanks Pacifica. That's the impression I'm getting... it would be nice to get some confirmation. I'm curious where it came from and how "verces" was even put there to begin with.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm guessing a misreading or misprint happened at some point. "Ce" for "u" isn't unlike the kind of mistakes often found in electronic scans of texts.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It looks like it isn't the only coat of arms with that motto, as after a quick search I can find a few.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

An adjective (uerus) doesn't seem likely, given the two nouns (one of which, honos, hints at a modicum of understanding of the language). I think merces is a good fit (for a typo, that is), if it's understood a tad un-Classically/etymologically as 'mercy'.

'Rectitude, Mercy, Honor', hey?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I suppose that's possible, but I can't see anything so unlikely about probitas verus honos (sc. est). Plus, it actually returns Google hits while probitas merces honos doesn't and also requires, by your own confession, an unusual interpretation of merces. Unless you choose actually to take it in its usual meaning of "reward" or "wages".

I'm, say, 95% sure that probitas verus honos was the original phrase.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Maybe you should have merces with these responses.

Back to being serious, the one thing left in my mind is this adjective paired with two nouns.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It isn't paired with two nouns. It is paired with one noun: honos. Probitas verus honos (est) = "Integrity is true honor." It isn't unusual for est to be left implied, especially in mottoes. There's nothing weird here.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

:brickwall2:

Man, I'm sleepy.

cheynetrain

Hey everyone - really appreciate your help on this one.
I'm going with Probitas Verus Honos. Especially with the Google hits on this phrase and nothing returning with Verces or Merces, I agree with Pacifica.