Project

The new next project after this is to alter the garden in a big way for my lad; a play area. Jasmine, roses, an acer, two flower beds, my gorgeous golden honeysuckles and more are making way for monkey bars, a tower (I'm building as they cost a bomb), fake lawn (a large section due to the mud his current play area creates) and other bits and bobs.

Might as well stick it on here too after this project is finished.

IMG_20200712_123438.jpg

Driving about today and clocked a skip on a drive and next to it a lovely Edwardian wardrobe. A door knock later and managed to get her in the car. Just stripped the backing and bottom out as she's infected. Next week I'll cut some ply and fit her out. Also thinking of sanding down and restaining in a darker finish. Quite chuffed.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
Beautiful find! And a great rescue.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Nice carvings.

An update on projects, unfortunately I never bothered taking progression photos on some of them so I only have a few pics but I'll start again as it keeps me on track a bit more on getting through them.

Issue 1.
Hitting. The little one has hitting spots in the house. This below was under the stairs and plastered so it was constantly cracking on impact.

Solution.
I've decided to rip it out, plywood it, adding a cap to bottom newel. Eventually finishing in gloss (put 1 coat on but needs another 2). I wanted to decorate more with trimming but he loves climbing too so I've had to leave it at that.

PicsArt_08-29-03.15.56.jpg

PicsArt_08-29-03.16.36.jpg

PicsArt_08-29-02.56.36.jpg

PicsArt_08-29-02.58.05.jpg

IMG_20200829_151952.jpg

Issue 2.
Climbing. No pics of before but it was spindles and a rail. My heart would be in my mouth when he stood on it so this was a priority.

Solution.
Ripped it all out and made a taller one so he's not able to climb onto the rail. Added another newel and capped it. Again, needs finishing coats.

PicsArt_08-29-03.00.31.jpg

PicsArt_08-29-02.59.47.jpg

Project bookcase.

Used pine with a bit of spruce, built a base, nailed cladding for backing, screwed and routed shelves, added a mould to the top and I'm now in the process of sanding before painting mainly white in chalky matt furniture paint with the 3 alcoves having a dark contrasting colour (perhaps a dark green or deep blue, not sure yet), staining the upper cornice mould and maybe the base too before finishing with furniture wax.

I'll update on these over the next few weeks, it's just time.

IMG_20200829_142459.jpg

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Impressive! Well done! - Love the bookcase!

IMG_20200829_164102.jpg

Sanded

IMG_20200829_170817.jpg

Filled all gaps

PicsArt_08-29-08.23.38.jpg

First coat of prime nearly done. Ran out of paint but the light wasn't ideal anyway, I'll get more supplies tomorrow. Not back at work till Tuesday so I might try and finish this project before jumping back into hallway to finish off there.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I actually liked it unpainted, but I guess I'll wait an see the final result.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
An update on projects, unfortunately I never bothered taking progression photos on some of them so I only have a few pics but I'll start again as it keeps me on track a bit more on getting through them.

Issue 1.
Hitting. The little one has hitting spots in the house. This below was under the stairs and plastered so it was constantly cracking on impact.

Solution.
I've decided to rip it out, plywood it, adding a cap to bottom newel. Eventually finishing in gloss (put 1 coat on but needs another 2). I wanted to decorate more with trimming but he loves climbing too so I've had to leave it at that.

View attachment 10845
View attachment 10846
View attachment 10847
View attachment 10848
View attachment 10849

Issue 2.
Climbing. No pics of before but it was spindles and a rail. My heart would be in my mouth when he stood on it so this was a priority.

Solution.
Ripped it all out and made a taller one so he's not able to climb onto the rail. Added another newel and capped it. Again, needs finishing coats.

View attachment 10850
View attachment 10851

Project bookcase.

Used pine with a bit of spruce, built a base, nailed cladding for backing, screwed and routed shelves, added a mould to the top and I'm now in the process of sanding before painting mainly white in chalky matt furniture paint with the 3 alcoves having a dark contrasting colour (perhaps a dark green or deep blue, not sure yet), staining the upper cornice mould and maybe the base too before finishing with furniture wax.

I'll update on these over the next few weeks, it's just time.

View attachment 10852
Good move with the landing railing. :thumb-up:

Good move with the landing railing. :thumb-up:
Absolute priority. He'd stand atop it in his own little world with his back to the stairs, oblivious to the high drop. We couldn't even say anything through fear of making him lose balance, more a case of slowly walking up the stairs and grabbing him.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
It's hard to put yourself in their place and anticipate everything the little buggers will do. e.g. shoving knitting needles in electrical sockets.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Good show, old boy! The thing looks smashing.

Reminds me of how my old man, when I was a senior in high school, lofted my bed so I could put a desk underneath. It was a real fortress of solitude, that was. Many a night spent writing overdue homework assignments. My partner in Latin 4 dumped me with pages upon pages of translation to do at the last minute, so I just ripped a translation off the net and changed some things around. Fortunately, our teacher was too out-of-touch to know what was going on (we got an A! :cool: )

Anyway, good on you, man. Soon your place will be worth more than the Taj Mahal.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Gah, so much natural wood breathing in your place, I'm jealous. All I have is this shitty paneling & fake marble aggregate & cheap, frayed carpet full of ant corpses. Ah, the life of a white gypsy!

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
'n your boy looks like he'll be a world-class lutenist in his day, by my faith!

Gah, so much natural wood breathing in your place, I'm jealous. All I have is this shitty paneling & fake marble aggregate & cheap, frayed carpet full of ant corpses. Ah, the life of a white gypsy!
You'll get there and you're quite lucky imo; a good job, independence, an apartment, a sweet bike, a good mind, etc. Maybe at some point you'll move from that apartment and find something with a garden and stuff. It all takes time.

Come into my workplace for a day or two, you'd soon feel a little better about your surroundings, trust me.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Ah, if it's any consolation I've lost my music room. My eldest has moved back in with his two bloody cats and my sanctuary has turned into a young man's hovel. Spud is an untidy bugger.
Just chalk up another notch on the old 'Good Dad' scoreboard. He'll worship you for it one day, if'n he don't (& I do reck'n he don't) right now.