Pronouncing the name of Fabullus

itaque

Hi all. I'm translating Catullus' poem, Catullus 13, which refers to Catullus' friend Fabullus.

Since the first "u" in Fabullus is followed by two "l"s, I'm assuming that the accent falls on the second syllable: Fabullus.

However, I'm also wondering how to pronounce "Fabullus" in English. Is the English pronounciation of the name equivalent to the Latin pronunciation, in this case?

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Double l drags the accent, so yes: Fa-bul-lus.

English is like Greek, the double or two consonants between the last and previous syllable don't matter. But in Latin, you have to consider these two things: vowel length in the second syllable from the end, and double or two consonants (including x, which is ks, but with exception of composites with -l or -r as second consonant, like pl, cl, cr...).

Last edited:

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

As for pronunciation of Latin names in English, here's the thing: you can do as everybody does, or you can keep pronouncing the Latin names as they are in Latin. (I do this in Portuguese, which is tricky, because in Portuguese, like in any Romance language, the names are converted, whereas in English, just a few (Livy, Terence...), but most are kept in their Latin forms. So, /'sisero:/ or /'kikero:/? But at least Marcus Tullius is Marcus Tullius in English. In Portuguese I have to put up with Marco Túlio. :poke:

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

In the old days he was known in English as 'Tully'.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I still call him Tully.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Mark Tully? Looks like a name from anywhere! ..say ..Dickens? :crazy:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

It does, lol.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Do you say /'tʃjuli/ or /'tʌli/?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

/'tʌli/ spreko.

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Mark Tully is a BBC presenter. As is Julia Caesar. No, really. Should have put them on the unthinking parents thread, but they were probably chosen deliberately.
Mark Tully was at the BBC from 1964 to 1994, and Julia Caesar joined around 2013. Wow. :mrgreen:

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Tully is always on the BBC. Perhaps he was originally staff and has been techically freelancing for decades, but that's a matter of more interest to his accountant than the average punter, I'd have thought.

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ah, okay. I just went by what was on Wikipedia. I totally missed the line "He was the regular presenter of the weekly BBC Radio 4 programme Something Understood[15] until the BBC announced its cessation in 2019.[16]", which shows what he did after the alleged resignation.