Pronunciation of Canicus

My name in Latin is Canicus, but I am curious about the length of the a and i. I have not seen this name written in a context where macrons were used, but I have noticed that it is common in Roman names at least to have a long vowel Jūlius, Mārcus, etc. does anyone know for sure about Canicus, or do you know how I might find out? Thanks

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

If it's some kind of 'loan translation' (of maybe Conan; the Irish certainly knew their Latin) and so derivative of canis, surely the a would be short. But it'd be more useful to know what the 'native' version of your name is?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Yeah. What does Canicus translate to?

It is the Latin form of Kenneth. It looks like the Gaelic form is Cainnech. How the Scottish Cinaed comes into it I'm not sure. I can't find any specific etymology for Canicus. so i don't know if it is simply a Latinization or if it has its own meaning in a Latin/Roman context

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

It is the Latin form of Kenneth. It looks like the Gaelic form is Cainnech.
Cainnech is mostly a *feminine name. Anyway, Canicus is most likely a Latinization of it.

*Nowadays.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Cainnech and Cinaed are actually unrelated. Apparently, both of them were translated to mean "Kenneth".

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

While I'm certainly no authority on Gaelic (but I know someone who is), I'm positive the 'a' would be short. The 'i' indicates 'fronting' or palatalization of the coming 'nn' and nothing in the way of a diphthong which could be realized as a long vowel, and if the name really derives from caoin, ao is not really a diphthong but a single short vowel like Russian ы /ɨ/.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

:D
:naughty: