Pronunciation of ejusdem generis

lionrampant

Can someone help with the pronunciation of this legal latin term?:

Ejusdem generis

Can someone recommend an online pronunciation resource?

Thanks.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Re: Need pronunciation help

lionrampant dixit:
Can someone help with the pronunciation of this legal latin term?:

Ejusdem generis

Thanks.
Oh my. This is going to require some explanation.

1. I've noticed that Latin legal terms imported into English are often pronounced, in legal contexts, in a way that Latinists in general view as incorrect. And if you do use a "correct" pronunciation you may sound incorrect or pedantic to your hearers. But on that we can't help you here.

2. To consider the easier of your two words first:

Classical: GEH-neh-riss (hard G)
Ecclesiastical: JE-neh-riss (soft G)

3. Now the tough one:

ejusdem is a form (genitive singular) of idem, one of Latin's several demonstrative pronouns. Because idem is stressed on its first syllable there is a strong tendency for beginners to stress ejusdem in the same place. I think there would be general agreement among contemporary Latinists that this is WRONG.

There are 3 syllables: e-jus-dem. All three vowels are short. But because of the two consonants falling together, the second syllable from the right, the penult, is "heavy by position", and therefore takes the stress:

eh-YUSS-demm

Believe it or not, we are not done. That j is, strictly speaking, a consonant, but it is in many ways vowel-like ("semivocalic"). That Latin often uses an i interchangeably with j (eiusdem) does nothing to alleviate the potential confusion. What I'm getting to is that sometimes the first two syllables of eiusdem fuse into one, in a process known as synizesis, something like

eYUSS-demm

This is usual, but not invariable, in classical poetry (and pretty much whenever a poet needs a two-syllable rather than a three syllable word, or so it looks to me).

I would have felt my answer incomplete without mentioning this conventional synizesis. But you can probably dismiss it as a poetic convention, something like "'tis" in English.

Bottom line:

Classical: eh-YUSS-demm GEH-neh-riss (hard G)
Ecclesiastical: eh-YUSS-demm JE-neh-riss (soft G)

Hope this is helpful. I invite comments (especially disagreements) from any of my colleagues on the Forum.