Prosody of natalicius

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

What do you think it should be? I see that many dictionaries list the first i as long but some others and poetic evidence suggests otherwise. Do you think it simply is a mistake that spread or is it a word whose prosody was changed by dactylic poets? I think it should be the first option, also because that adjective ending is usually like that.

Last edited:

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

That's an interesting question.

I guess, if the normal ending is short -icius, like patricius, then maybe it did in fact combine with the i-stem natali- (-icius) with a resultant long i? Otherwise, I agree with your first option.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Incidentally, if you met a beautiful girl named Natalie, do you suppose she would merit the name 'Natalicious'?

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

That is a portmanteau of 'Natalie' + 'delicious'. For a better understanding, see the following instructional tape:

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Not meaning to be malicious, I never really thought she was all that good-looking. Her face looks like it'd been chiseled from the inner walls of a mausoleum.

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Not meaning to be malicious, I never really thought she was all that good-looking.
Lots of teenaged boys did, though.
Her face looks like it'd been chiseled from the inner walls of a mausoleum.
Tsk-tsk. :naughty: bad boy! (I don't think the teenagers were looking much at her face, anyways.)
As for me, I just haven't heard her name "in a minute", as they say.