Tattoo Proud Father

Cyrric

Hi, I am asking for help. I want to do a tattoo in Latin that will read "Proud Father", I saw posts that talk about the difficulty of translating the words proud. could the COR PATRIS statement be the correct one? would fit the sense of "proud father". please help

Hawkwood

• Civis

Pater animosus

This might work if your request is intended to mean a father who is proud to be a father but I'm not a latinist so wait for confirmation or better translation attempts.

Hawkwood

• Civis

I'd take that to mean Father's heart. It could have figurative connotations but I'm not sure. Wait for others.

B

Bitmap

I'd take that to mean Father's heart.

Yes, that's what it means.

Pater animosus

animosus actually means 'bold, spirited, full of courage' ... but Ovid uses it in the sense of 'proud to have born someone' in met. 6,206:
en ego vestra parens, vobis animosa creatis
(Latona to Apollo and Artemis)

Another way of putting it might be sth. like pater elatus or pater elati animi I suppose.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Elatus is the only adjective for proud I know that doesn't sound bad I think.

Cyrric

Elatus is the only adjective for proud I know that doesn't sound bad I think.
Bitmap , thank you very much for help. so both "pater elatus" and "pater elati animi" will be the most appropriate form of writing? is "elati" derived from "elatus"? because I understand that "animi" comes from "animus", right? and which form is more correct?

B

Bitmap

Yes, the elati animi version is a bit more convoluted ... it literally means 'father of proud spirit', i.e. 'father who is proud in spirit' or 'proudly-spirited father'.
pater elatus is simply the direct translation attempt.

Cyrric

Bitmap How about something like that "Quia omne donum est maximus ut a parente" or "Beatus, qui pater est" or maybe something like this "Dona parentis est quod plerique" or "Præcipuum est parens" or "Summa felicitatis parens". Are such sentences correct? Which one is more accurate?

B

Bitmap

Bitmap How about something like that "Quia omne donum est maximus ut a parente" or "Beatus, qui pater est" or maybe something like this "Dona parentis est quod plerique" or "Præcipuum est parens" or "Summa felicitatis parens". Are such sentences correct? Which one is more accurate?

Beatus qui pater est means "Happy is he, who is a father."
The other phrases don't seem right to me. Where did you get them from and what exactly are you trying to say?

Cyrric

Bitmap thanks for reply. I trying to say something like this "the greatest gift of all is to be a father/parent".
I mean the gift as a blessing.

Cyrric

Bitmap thank You very much for your help. I just have a one last request, how would you translate the phrase "Family love is the greatest blessing in life"

B

Bitmap

There is some debate as to how 'family' should be translated into Latin, because among Romans, the Latin word familia did not only comprise your closest relatives, but your entire house including your servants.
Pacifica suggested other words to me like proximi or sui ... so depending on how important it is for you that a Roman from 2000 years ago would understand it right, you have to choose your word:

amor familiae/suorum est summa vitae fortuna.

(I chose fortuna for 'blessing' here)

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi, I am asking for help. I want to do a tattoo in Latin that will read "Proud Father", I saw posts that talk about the difficulty of translating the words proud. could the COR PATRIS statement be the correct one? would fit the sense of "proud father". please help
Pater felix

seems rather close: "happy / successful / fortunate father," one who is glad that the birth has turned out so well.

Cyrric

There is some debate as to how 'family' should be translated into Latin, because among Romans, the Latin word familia did not only comprise your closest relatives, but your entire house including your servants.
Pacifica suggested other words to me like proximi or sui ... so depending on how important it is for you that a Roman from 2000 years ago would understand it right, you have to choose your word:

amor familiae/suorum est summa vitae fortuna.

(I chose fortuna for 'blessing' here)
If I wanted to divide this sentence into two lines, where would it be best in terms of grammar?