Tattoo Proud Father

Cyrric

OK, thank you very much. The tattoo will look like this : "Amor familiae est summa vitae fortuna."
but if i delete "vitae"? this sentence will be like this: the love of a family is greatest blessing", right?

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

optimum/maximum omnium donum est patrem/parentem esse.
Why the accusative here? I think the nominative is called for. Optimum/maximum dōnum est pater/parēns esse.

I might try using some form of glōrior, -ārī ("to pride oneself (on)" with the source of pride in the ablative). So maybe: Glōrior paternitāte (literally "I pride myself on fatherhood.")

B

Bitmap

Maybe I should add that infinitive constructions usually stand in the AcI in Latin (unless they are part of an NcI ... and with the exception of some examples from poetry).

Confer this sentence from Cicero:
Non esse cupidum pecunia est, non esse emacem vectigal est; contentum vero suis rebus esse maximae sunt certissimaeque divitiae.

from Paradoxa Stoicorum, 51.

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Maybe I should add that infinitive constructions usually stand in the AcI in Latin (unless they are part of an NcI ... and with the exception of some examples from poetry).

Confer this sentence from Cicero:
Non esse cupidum pecunia est, non esse emacem vectigal est; contentum vero suis rebus esse maximae sunt certissimaeque divitiae.

from Paradoxa Stoicorum, 51.
So in an infinitival clause headed by a copula and serving as the subject or complement of a conjugated copula, the nested copula suddenly stops acting like a copula and instead acts like a transitive verb? Weird! I mean, I know language isn't supposed to be entirely logical and consistent, but even by linguistic standards, this strikes me as really odd (and interesting).

What do the abbreviations "AcI" and "NcI" mean?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

No, it's still acting like a copula. It's just that the subject of an infinitive is accusative – thus any predicate after a copula should also be accusative.

AcI = accusativus cum infinitivo
NcI = nominativus cum infinitivo