Pugio Bruti & other 'easy' novels

TheOtherDrew

I just got a copy of Pugio Bruti, by Daniel Petterson & Amelie Rosengren. Has here anyone read it? Some of the grammar is still slightly above my level (I'm just a beginner) But it's very readable & seems like a good story so far.

The actual classics are still way above my reading level & most of the stuff that is at an 'beginner' level tend to be fables & stories intended for younger readers. So this is a much more engaging reader for me to practice with.

Does anyone here know of other fairly easy horror, thriller, mystery, true crime or sci-fi stories in latin that I could practice with?

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Have you read Ad Alpes? By the way, if you are only interested in horror, thriller, mystery, true crime or sci-fi stories, then you might want to reconsider your choice of language :)

TheOtherDrew

Have you read Ad Alpes? By the way, if you are only interested in horror, thriller, mystery, true crime or sci-fi stories, then you might want to reconsider your choice of language :)
Hah, I just picked those for light reading to help build up my competency before delving into more serious stuff.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

I think they're quite expensive for the amount of content you get, nor can I vouch for the quality of their Latinity. They are,however, gaining in popularity in the USA.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

nor can I vouch for the quality of their Latinity.
The second sentence of the first novella contains a gender mismatch (turris est magnus). That's not a good start, though it could of course be an unfortunate slip.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Indeed. But you see the price they are charging for a few hundred words of large-print Latin spread across dozens of pages. It's all part of the comprehensible input movement. You could make a fortune writing these while you're waiting for a bus!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I've read a bit more of the first and second novellas. Overall, it doesn't look too bad. Just keep in mind there can be the occasional mistake like that turris est magnus.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Indeed. But you see the price they are charging for a few hundred words of large-print Latin spread across dozens of pages. It's all part of the comprehensible input movement. You could make a fortune writing these while you're waiting for a bus!
Yeah, each novella is more expensive than my book of Latin translations, which is over 100 pages of normal print — but I intentionally set the price relatively low.

(The book in question isn't in beginners' Latin so not a recommendation for our OP at this stage.)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Yeah, each novella is more expensive than my book of Latin translations, which is over 100 pages of normal print — but I intentionally set the price relatively low.

(The book in question isn't in beginners' Latin so not a recommendation for our OP at this stage.)
All true, but talent sometimes has to follow the market rather than the muse. (My last off-topic word on it. :) )

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I just got a copy of Pugio Bruti, by Daniel Petterson & Amelie Rosengren. Has here anyone read it? Some of the grammar is still slightly above my level (I'm just a beginner) But it's very readable & seems like a good story so far.
This Novel should be read after you complete basic course. If you find this book somewhat difficult, then I would suggest starting with Maud Reed's Julia

after you read it, you can go with Pugio Bruti or Newman's Easy Latin Plays

After that you should be able to take a stab at Ad Alpes, Fabulae Syrae or Epitome Historiae Sacrae.

Optimal solution: consult a professional latin teacher / tutor.

Oziboi2

The actual classics are still way above my reading level & most of the stuff that is at an 'beginner' level tend to be fables & stories intended for younger readers. So this is a much more engaging reader for me to practice with.

Does anyone here know of other fairly easy horror, thriller, mystery, true crime or sci-fi stories in latin that I could practice with?
**HI THERE! could someone lend a hand and translate the second sentence of Pugio Bruti beginning with 'Terentia ianuam post se clausit et ...'? I can find word meanings but i'm confused about who is doing what? thank you, Mark (in Sydney)

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

**HI THERE! could someone lend a hand and translate the second sentence of Pugio Bruti beginning with 'Terentia ianuam post se clausit et ...'? I can find word meanings but i'm confused about who is doing what? thank you, Mark (in Sydney)
Hi Mark, could you post the full sentence?

kmp

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Terentia closed the door behind her and gazed at her father who was lying on his bed.