pugio bruti p. xxxviii

john abshire

• Patronus

mihi," inquit Clodius, "nomen est Q. Clodius Crescens", et nummos e sacculo promptos in mensa posuit.
Oeneus nummos magnis oculis intuens statim sumpsit. Clodius ea quae scire volebat rogavit. Oeneus adnuit et tandem respondit: "Nescio quis sit ille adulescens capillo nigro quem fugientem femina secuta est, sed huc saepe venit. Tunicas flavas gere solet. Non hercle placent tunicae flavae."
Clodius nummum alterum in mensa posuit.
"in mentem modo venit: Adulescentem quem quaeris," inquit caupo, "ad Portam Capenam olim vidi, puto. Visne amplius vini?"

Clodius said, "my name is Q. Clodius Cresens", and he placed coins, having been taken out of a sack, on the table.
Oeneus immeadiately took up the coins watching them with large eyes. Clodius asked the things which he wanted to know. Oeneus nodded and finally replied: "I do not know who is this young man with black hair whom fleeing the woman followed, but he often came here. He is accustomed to wearing a yellow tunic. Yellow tunics are really not pleasing."
Clodius placed another coin on the table.
The innkeeper said, "This just now comes to mind. I think I saw the young man whom you are searching for once at the Capena Gate. Do you want more wine?"

Please check my translation in general, and the bold type in particular.
thank you.
Edits in bold

Last edited:
B

Bitmap

Clodius asked her what he wanted to know
ea & quae are neuter plural and the objects of rogavit and scire respectively.

I do not know who is this young man with black hair whom fleeing the woaman followed, but he often came here.
Some typos (and weird English word order), but basically right.
Judging from the next sentence (where it says solet in present tense), I would have guess that venit had a short e and is present tense, though.

Yellow tunics are not really pleasing.
better: "are really not pleasing" ... or some swear word instead of "really".

You are searching for a young man whom I think i saw once at the Capena Gate.
adulescentem is the object of vidi
main clause: ad Portam Capenam olim vidi adulescentem
rel. clause: quem quaeris.

B

Bitmap

“Clodius asked her the things which he wanted to know.”
Clodius ea ei quae score volebat rogavit.
?
I don't understand.

You want to know what "Clodius asked her the things which he wanted to know.” means?

Clodius eam ea rogavit quae scire volebat.

john abshire

• Patronus

I don't understand.

You want to know what "Clodius asked her the things which he wanted to know.” means?

Clodius eam ea rogavit quae scire volebat.
I was asking how to “say” the following in Latin.
“Clodius asked her the things which he wanted to know.”
Then, if you can leave out “the things”; then write (in Latin)
“Clodius asked her what he wanted to know.”
Obviously, I am wanting to learn, do you put “her” in the dative, or accusative?

B

Bitmap

Obviously, I am wanting to learn, do you put “her” in the dative, or accusative?
rogare is constructed with a double accusative ... so it would be like in the sentence I gave you.

Alternative:
Clodius de ea (f. abl. sing.) ea (n. acc. pl.) rogavit quae scire volebat.

The ea (n. acc. pl.) can be left out in both sentences if you want