pugio bruti xxiii

john abshire

• Patronus

viam ingressa est, sed nesciebat quo iret. Unam e portis urbis praeteriit; Porta Flumentana erat.
Non longe ab ea Tiberim videre poterat, sed e porta non est egressa. Perrexit. Subito media via constitit. Duo enim magni equi eadem via ibant.
Terentiam praeterierunt et aliam viam ingressi sunt. Terentia equos oculis secuta est.
Nesciebat quo iret. Nesciebat ubi adulescentem scelestum quaereret.

She was entering a road, but she did not know by which (road) he may have gone. She walked by one coming from the gates of the city; It was the Flumentan gate.
Not long after that, she could not see Tiberim, but she had not advanced from the gate. She continued. Suddenly, she halted in the middle of the road. For two large horses were advancing on the same road.
They walked by Terentia and they advanced (down) another road. Terentia followed the horses with her eyes.
She did not know by which (road) he went (on). She did not know where she should search for the criminal young man.
??
There are specifics I am struggling with, but I think it best if you just read it and tell me where i am close, and where i need the help. In particular, I don't recognize Flumentana or Tiberim. I assume these are proper names. If they were familiar this may make more sense.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

She was entering a road
Wrong tense. That would be imperfect, ingrediebatur.

Also I suspect you need "the" rather than "a" there.
she did not know by which (road) he may have gone.
- Why "he"? Is there anything to suggest that the subject changes? No, it's still "she".

- "May have gone" is a tense mismatch. Iret is imperfect, not pluperfect, and "may" isn't even correct English in a past tense context.

- Quo doesn't mean "by which road" but "where (to)". You got it confused with qua.

- Quo iret is a deliberative question: "where she should go", "where to go".
one coming from the gates of the city
"One of the city gates."
Not long after that, she could not see Tiberim
There is only one non in this sentence, so why have you got two nots?

Non longe ab ea = not far from it (i.e. the gate)

Tiberim (acc.) = the Tiber.
she had not advanced from the gate.
Wrong tense. Non est egressa is perfect, not pluperfect.
they advanced (down) another road.
Probably better: "they took another road."
She did not know by which (road) he went (on).
Same as above regarding quo iret.
I don't recognize Flumentana
The Porta Flumentana is apparently called the River Gate in English. That's what L&S says anyway.

john abshire

• Patronus

- "May have gone" is a tense mismatch. Iret is imperfect, not pluperfect, and "may" isn't even correct English in a past tense context.

- Quo doesn't mean "by which road" but "where (to)". You got it confused with qua.

"One of the city gates."
Praeteriit unam portarum urbis.
“She walked by one of the gates of the city.” ?
Why unam e portis urbis?
where e,ex = out of, down from, etc.

iret She should go, but “she may go” Is this not also a subjunctive translation?

B

Bitmap

iret She should go, but “she may go” Is this not also a subjunctive translation?
It's subjunctive in Latin because it's an indirect question.

It can mean 2 things: "She didn't know where she was going." (direct question being "quo eo?")
"She didn't know where she was supposed to go." (direct question being "quo eam?")

I would translate it as the former in the first instance and as the latter in the second.

Last edited by a moderator:

john abshire

• Patronus

Same as above regarding quo iret.
Nesciebat quo iret.
She did not know where she should go.
She did not know where she was going.
...............where she went.
??
How do you know?
Does the answer have anything to do with “deliberate question”?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

One of the gates, not ports. Otherwise, yes, it is correct. There are three very common ways of saying "of the" in a partitive sense, as in "one of the": the genitive, ex and de.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

You may find my guide on the uses of the subjunctive helpful (THREAD: subjunctive-uses). It doesn't have the deliberative subjunctive within indirect questions (though it does have the independent deliberative subj), but I think it does a nice job of setting forth the various uses of the subjunctive and their translations.