Pugio Bruti

john abshire

• Patronus

"Non pugionem," respondit caupo, "sed aliquid melius habeo..." Et gradum magnum ad eam fecit.
Terentia e caupona fugit. Neque eo redire cogitabat: Noctu Romae non tantum viae sed etiam cauponae periculosae erant.

The innkeeper responded, "I do not have the dagger, but someone better..." and made a big step towards her.
Terentia fled from the inn. She was considering not to return to there: At night the roads of Rome were not dangerous so much but the inns were dangerous.
??

john abshire

• Patronus

Caupo scelesto similis subrisit.
“Non”, inquit, “sed si virum capillo nigro vis, ecce me.”
Tum Terentia irata, “quid tandem?” inquit, “tune habes pugionem meum?

the innkeeper smiled a crooked smile.
He said, “if you do not desire a man with black hair, look at me.”
Then angry Terentia said, “What?” “Do you have my dagger?”
??

B

Bitmap

The innkeeper responded, "I do not have the dagger, but someone better..." and made a big step towards her.
something.

At night the roads of Rome were not dangerous so much but the inns were dangerous.
non tantum ... sed etiam = not only, but also

the innkeeper smiled a crooked smile.
smiled like a crook.

He said, “if you do not desire a man with black hair, look at me.”
I don't have the context, but the sentence sound like "no, but if you want a man with black hair, look at me."

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

i was asking about both sentences together, really, if my translation captured the meaning. Pacifica said my translation was “literally correct”, and by that, I thought I may have missed the meaning.
I think she was referring to the second sentence.

john abshire

• Patronus

Dorippa, ancilla eius, in conclave celeriter venit et tunicam sumpsit; abibat cum Terentia “Dorippa,” clamavit “mane! E caupona egressa quo abiisti?”

Dorippa, her servant, quickly came in the room and took up the tunic; she went away with Terentia “Dorippa” she exclaimed “Wait! Did he leave by way of the inn?”
??

Last edited:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

abibat is imperfect. It describes what Dorippa was doing when (cum) Terentia clamavit

egressa is the perfect tense of a deponent verb. The -a ending tells you the sex of the person who went out.
quo means where
abiisti is short for abivisti