putio bruti, last line of LXII thru LXIII

john abshire

• Patronus

Adulescens nigro capillo manus ventri imposuit. Sanguis ei e ventre fluebat ut tunica eius sanguine rubra esset. Tantum sanguinis ei e ventre fluebat ut lapides viae tam rubri essent quam adulescentis tunica. Terentia gradum ab adulescente fecit et eum intuita est candentem. Secum cogitavit: Hominem interfeci. Paulisper cruentum adulescentis ventrem, tunicam cruentam, lapides viae cruentos intuita est. Tum perrexit neque se convertit.

The young man with black hair placed his hands on his belly. Blood flowed from him out of his belly so that is tunic was red with blood. So much blood flowed from out of his belly that the stones of the road were as red as the tunic of the young man. Terentia made a step away from the young man and watched him falling. She thought to herself: I killed a man. For a little while she looked at the bloody belly of the young man, the bloody tunic, the bloody stones of the road. Then she continued on and did not turn herself around.

please review
Edits in bold

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

john abshire

• Patronus

Terentia diu pugionem, quem prae se tenebat, intuita est. Tum aedes sine ianua intuita est. Subito aedes pugione vehementer percussit, eodem modo quo paulo ante adulescentem pugione percusserat.
E tenebris Clodiu longe vidit ianuam in aedibus aperiri. Aedes intuens cogitavit: nulla ianua ibi paulo ante fuit, sed nunc est! Quid hoc rei est? Unde venit?

For a long time Terentia looked at the dagger, which she held in front of herself. Then she saw a building without a door. Suddenly she struck the building violently, the same way she had stabbed the young man with the dagger a little before.
From afar out of the darkness, Clodius saw a door to be opened in the building. Looking at the building he thought: There was no door there a little before, but there is now! What is this thing? Where did it come from?

please review,
thanks
edits in bold

Last edited:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

not wrong, but I would have translated percusserat as struck
longe
you could translate as from afar

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

does it really say sanguinem adulescentem?

quod in sole tantum lucebant: tantum is only

Terentia has lineas pugionis longe secuta erat
here longe is for a long way

sed Terentiae iam quaerendum erat
it is not a search for Terentia, the person on whom the obligation falls is in the dative.

Unus e parietibus maculam nigram habebat: maculam, not maculas

john abshire

• Patronus

does it really say sanguinem adulescentem?

quod in sole tantum lucebant: tantum is only

Terentia has lineas pugionis longe secuta erat
here longe is for a long way

sed Terentiae iam quaerendum erat
it is not a search for Terentia, the person on whom the obligation falls is in the dative.

Unus e parietibus maculam nigram habebat: maculam, not maculas
sorry, I deleted this post and put in under a different heading, pugio bruti p.LXIV.
i will try to move your reply over also. I did not think anyone was paying attention, and made the new post so they would.
I copied it back to this post. Same post it is just out of order now.
I am making the edits in bold type

Last edited:

john abshire

• Patronus

Terentia in conclave parvo et tacito erat. Pugionem cruetam prae se tenebat; intuita est sanguinem adulescentis quem modo pugione percusserat. Pugionem manu abstersit, sed illae parvae linae non conspiciebantur, quod in sole tantum lucebant.
Terentia has lineas pugionis longe secuta erat, quae eam per vias Romae duxerant, sed sine sole nullo modo adiuvabant. Linae eam ad has aedes duxerant, sed Terentiae iam quaerendum erat.
Circumspexit: Conclave ert vacuum. Parietes, qui rubri erant, intuita est. Unus e parietibus maculam nigram habebat, e qua lineae aureae currebant, quae soli similes lucebant.

Terentia was in a small and quiet room. She was holding the bloody dagger in front of herself; she looked at the blood of the young man who she had just now stabbed with the dagger. She wiped off the dagger with her hand, but those small lines were not seen, because they only shone in the sun.
Terentia had followed those lines of the dagger for a long way, which had led her through the streets of Rome, but without the sun they in no way were helping. The lines led her to those buildings, but now Terentia had to search.
She looked around: The room was empty. She looked at the walls which were red. One of the walls had a black stain, out of which ran gold lines, which were shining similar to the sun.

please review,
I feel like I am missing the translation somewhere; It doesn't really make sense.
thanks
edits in bold

Last edited:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It makes sense to me.

quod in sole tantum lucebant because they only shone in the sun
duxerant is had led

sed Terentiae iam quaerendum erat: but now Terentia had to search

it could be a black spot rather than a black stain

john abshire

• Patronus

It makes sense to me.

quod in sole tantum lucebant because they only shone in the sun
duxerant is had led

sed Terentiae iam quaerendum erat: but now Terentia had to search

it could be a black spot rather than a black stain
Part of what doesn’t make sense is “lines on the dagger leading through the streets of Rome.” (Or equivalent)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Maybe the lines form a map or something. I haven't read the story so this is my guess.

B

Bitmap

Sounds like the dagger has turned into a pretty poor MacGuffin device ...

Reminds me of ...

:brickwall2::brickwall2::brickwall2: