putio bruti p. LXXV

john abshire

• Patronus

"tum huc celeriter redi et prome tunicas et vinum; Roma enim nobis egrediendum est."
"num raedam tantum," rogavit Ursula, "vis? Non equum neque asinum?"
Iratus Clodius, "Immo" inquit, "Cogita! Duobus equis nobis opus est! An vis me raedam trahere? Abi nunciam, age! Quid stas? Abi!"
Ursula subridens ita rogavit: "Asino non opus est?"
"Non taces?" inquit Clodius, "Nihil opus est asino! Opus est raeda et duobus equis. Tantum est. I nunciam!"
Cum ad ianuam iret secum tacita cogitabat: Profecto nihil opus est asino, cum tantus iam domi sit.

"Then return here quickly and take out the tunics and wine; we must leave Rome."
Ursula asked, "You don't want only a carriage do you? No horse nor donkey?"
Angry Clodius said, "yes, I do! We need two horses! Or do you want me to pull the carriage! Go away right now, come on! Why are you standing (there)? Go away!"
Smiling Ursula asked: "Is there not need for a donkey?"
Clodius said, "Won’t you be quiet? There is no need for a donkey! There is a need for a carriage and two horses. That is all. Go right now!
When she went towards the door she was thinking to herself quietly: Definitely there is no need for a donkey, since a great (one) is at home already.

Please review,
thank you
edits in bold

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

for the going from Rome ought to be done by us."
This should most likely be indefinite, "a going". But of course for normal English you could say "We must leave Rome" or some such.
Immo is used to introduce a contradiction or correction to what has just been said. "In fact" sometimes serves the same purpose but it doesn't really work here. You could say "(Yes,) I do!"
Unless you want me to pull the carriage!
Literally it is "Or do you want me to pull the carriage?" but what you've got works well enough.
What are you standing (there for)?
Yes, quid here means "why", "what for".
So Ursula smiling asked:
More like "Smiling, Ursula asked thus: ..." It would be OK to omit the "thus".
Are you not quiet?
That's literally correct but it doesn't convey the message very well. You could say something like "Won't you be quiet?"
Nothing has need of a donkey!
"There is no need for a donkey!"
It is enough.
More exactly "That's all".
Having set out
This profecto is an adverb meaning "definitely" or the like.
Tantus is about size (literal or figurative), not number, and it is singular.

The rest is right.

Last edited: