quand horologium sistet, sitet in vous

Sigridk

My father died many years ago.
His last words were;
When my clock (heart) stops, it stops on you (referring to a picture on his bedstand of us his family).
In honor of his 70th birthday and love forever I would like to make this memory last by a tattoo. I would like the translation to be correct.
Best regards from Sweden!

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

wow is that the spit-out of Google translate? Latin AND French
:hysteric:

Sigridk

I dont know someone in swedish forum wrote that. I thought it was a bit off thars why i posted here as a question.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I dont know someone in swedish forum wrote that. I thought it was a bit off thars why i posted here as a question.
A bit off? More like hilariously off; quand is not a Latin word.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm honestly hesitant about the translation of this into Latin. First, horologium for romans was a sundial or a water clock - but this isn't the most serious problem, as I suppose we can decide to give the word the modern meaning or "tick-tacking" clock. Now I'm not at all sure about the metaphor "to stop on you"... Since you're already half the way into it, don't you rather want this in French? It would be easier for me, lol.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yeah, I kept it for hilarious purposes.
I'm honestly hesitant about the translation of this into Latin. First, horologium for romans was a sundial or a water clock - but this isn't the most serious problem, as I suppose we can decide to give the word the modern meaning or "tick-tacking" clock. Now I'm not at all sure about the metaphor "to stop on you"... Since you're already half the way into it, don't you rather want this in French? It would be easier for me, lol.
I'm not sure what "stop on you" is supposed to mean either. PP speaks the voice of reason here; why not get it done in French?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"The clock stops" means he dies, "it stops on you" means that his heart will stop while he will be looking at them - and certainly also thinking about them.
My father died many years ago.
His last words were;
When my clock (heart) stops, it stops on you (referring to a picture on his bedstand of us his family).

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

How about a "literal" translation for starters, guys? This is by no means the end result, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling.

Cum moriar, te vos spectans moriar - When I die, I will die looking at you.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Vos rather than te, because it was about the whole family.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Oops. Thanks. Edited. ;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I wonder if it's possible to do a Latin translation keeping the original metaphor, because it's all playing on several things that can come together in English or French, but can they in Latin? "It will stop on you" you have at the same time the image of a clock that stops on 5 or 12 or whatever, and that of the heart that stops; is there a verb in Latin meaning "stop" and that can be used absolutely for a heart that stops beating, as straightforwardly as "stops" can be said in English of a heart as well as of a clock or anything?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

"The clock stops" means he dies, "it stops on you" means that his heart will stop while he will be looking at them - and certainly also thinking about them.
Could you explain that? You seem to have an instinctive understanding of the OP's meaning.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

is there a verb in Latin meaning "stop" and that can be used absolutely for a heart that stops beating, as straightforwardly as "stops" can be said in English of a heart as well as of a clock or anything?
Don't yell at me, but would cor agi desinit be all that bad?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Could you explain that? You seem to have an instinctive understanding of the OP's meaning.
Hmm, I'm not sure how I can explain more precisely. The OP said that his father said this sentence making reference to the picture of his family next to his bed. So I assume he was going to die in his bed, with his eyes on the picture, and presumably the people on the picture in his heart and in his thoughts. His heart would stop then. They would be the last thing he would see and his last thought. So with a few transfers of meaning and a poetical touch, "his clock ( = heart) would stop on them".
Don't yell at me, but would cor agi desinit be all that bad?
Pulsare desinit would be more likely, but this isn't one verb that could be used meaning "stop" for a heart as well something else as we'd need here. As we would be talking of a heart under cover of being talking of a clock, we would need just one verb alone meaning "stop" and working in the same way as English "stop" (anything can just "stop")... without getting explicit about hearts stopping beating.