Quantum in se est

MichaelJYoo

Anyone willing to check the accuracy of my translation and to help me determine what "quantum in se est" means in this context? Thanks!

"Primam electionem ad gloriam hoc loco intelligi nolumus, quia ex illa oritur decretum communicandi ea media, per quae ad gloriam perveniri potest. Quae quia respui & reijci possunt, hinc est, quod posita huiusmodi electione ad gloriam, non ponatur necessario gloriae & salutis aeternae collatio. Quae causa etiam est, quod illa communiter & sine discrimine ullo se extendat ad omnes eos, qui divinae vocationis gratiosae participes fiunt. Neque enim fieri potest, quin eos, quos Deus ex affectu benevolo ad gratiae Evangelicae communionem vocat, etiam ad gloriam, quantum in se est, pervenire velit."

"We do not want the first election to glory to be understood in this place because from it arises the decree of communicating those means through which glory can be arrived at; which ordained means, because they can be spurned and rejected in this kind of election to glory, is why the collation of eternal glory and salvation is not necessarily established. This is also the reason that it extends itself in common and without any discrimination to all those who are made partakers of the gracious divine call. Neither can it be made without those whom God, out of His benevolent affection, calls to the communion of evangelical grace and wills to arrive at glory, insofar as it lies in Himself."

LCF

a.k.a. Lucifer
quantum in me est = as much as I am able to

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
which ordained means, because they can be spurned and rejected in this kind of election to glory, is why the collation of eternal glory and salvation is not necessarily established.
More like: "since these means can be spurned and rejected, it follows that this kind of election to glory does not necessarily entail the collation of eternal glory and salvation."

(More literally... "with this kind of election to glory having been put forward, the collation of eternal glory and salvation is not necessarily put forward".)
Neither can it be made without those whom God, out of His benevolent affection, calls to the communion of evangelical grace and wills to arrive at glory, insofar as it lies in Himself."
"Neither can it be that God does not wish those whom he .... calls to the communion... to arrive at glory as well, as far as in Him lies (as far as depends on Him)"