quia multum possedit?

A

Anonymous

Please can you help me? I am published a novel written by my late great-grandfather in 1920 in which he uses the latin phrase "quia multum possedit". I would be most appreciative if someone could give me an accurate translation.

In context:

"The only way to make absolutely sure of a peaceful home is to exclude one’s relations. My relations, that is, of course; yours are different, Helen.” (It was probably merely a coincidence that Helen’s relatives had money and were quite prosperous. She had, too, expectations from a wealthy but notoriously free living uncle who lived mysteriously abroad in some South American background, but whose sins were freely forgiven by the charitable quia multum possedit.)

I did post this quesiton in a forum some time ago but sadly I have lost the answer and that particular forum no longer exists.

Rob

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"Because he/she/it possessed/inherited much"

Probably in context: "...forgiven by the charitable because he had much (wealth)"

A

Anonymous

Thank you Andy. I recall that the last time I posted this question on the now ex-forum there was some disagreement between the respondents, but your reply seems to make perfect sense and I hope that everyone else is in agreement!

Rob