Quid sum? (What am I?) Latin writing game

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I said ter totidem saltem, to mean 'at least three times as many (as 12, that is 36).
Oh, I see... That wasn't clear to me, because saltem was so far from the number it was meant to modify.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
It was a bit of a stretch, anyway, because when you say "at least such and such number", there's usually a possibility for it to be that exact number, even though it may be more.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
That wasn't clear to me, because saltem was so far from the number it was meant to modify.
I'll grant that, but let's just call it a 'riddle-within-a-riddle'.
there's usually a possibility for it to be that exact number
Does anyone qualify with 'at least' when he means precisely that number?
'Wow, what a turnout. There's at least a hundred people here!' = 'I'm certain there are more than a hundred people here.'

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Well, at least a hundred means what it means: a hundred or more. Admittedly, it's probably more, but in any case it would be weird to say "at least a hundred" when you know there are precisely 145 and can't be any fewer. But I grant you this was a riddle anyway, so there's room for unusualness and obscurity.

Agrippa

No sir, I am not NJ..., sed civitas sum finitima.

Agrippa

Are you New York?
Non sum, doctrinae omnis antistes,
sed auxilium vobis venio:
Quattuor mihi sunt termini: ad terram versus definita sum tribus terminis regula et circino descriptis, ad oceanum versus maritima ora incomposita.