Reasons to not study Latin

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Yes, I am bored, but let us try this regardless :D

Reasons both serious (freeing up time to read/watch TV/exercise) and sarcastic (being free not to recognize some of the less usual English words) are welcome.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Not feeling the urge to correct the fractured Latin used by others.

And, of course, me :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Naturally - my tendency to badger is the reason behind Imprecator's reason.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I’m finishing my textbook and I’m preparing myself morally to start serious reading. Commentarii, of course. But actually I’ve discovered I’m quite ignorant about ancient literature in Latin. Golden Age: Caesar’s populist stuff, Cicero’s orations (I’m not sure orations are the kind of literature I was always eager to read) and compilative philosophy, Livy’s fables—perhaps the most interesting. Other than Golden Age: historical treatises; Seneca’s philosophy (I’m biassed against Seneca owing to Graves and his Claudius the God); what else? I don’t feel like plunging into poetry.

In short: is there enough fiction? :hissyfit: Or it was all in vain?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

There is quite a bit of fiction, especially if you accept later Latin. Geoffry of Monmouth wrote Historia Regum Britanniae, which made the legend of King Arthur famous, as well as a few others such as Vita Merlini. Utopia, though not a proper fiction, was written originally in Latin. There are a few early Latin comedies and tragedies, and of course Fabulae Aesopi.

All in all, though, I don't think you'll find too much of what distinguishes modern fiction (unless you count poetry). I wouldn't say it's all in vain, at any rate - Latin provides the groundwork to learn other languages.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

As for later authors, you are quite right, and I don’t mind them at all (Historia Regum Britanniae is certainly on my list!). What’s more, I rather associate Latin with the Renaissance. I’ve got the first book about Harry Potter, after all. :) But as for the roots… Apparently Greek is the clue to the antiquity, not Latin.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Quasus dixit:
You refer to Livy's work as fabulae, which I believe is the technically correct term. Sticking my neck out, I would suggest that they are mostly historical fiction ;)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The multifarious uses of the subjunctive is enough to drive one mad.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Cinefactus dixit:
Quasus dixit:
You refer to Livy's work as fabulae, which I believe is the technically correct term. Sticking my neck out, I would suggest that they are mostly historical fiction ;)
I mean Livy’s aim was not to present an account of facts but to glorify the Romans; in particular, his early history of Rome is completely legendary. He can hardly be regarded as a good source for an historian.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Before I came here to post my first questions, I asked the on Yahoo Answers. That eventually led to an email conversation with one of the Latinists there, who said this at one point:

My undergraduate classics professor, whose doctorate (unlike mine) was in classics, said once that he had been warned not to specialize in Latin metrics, because everyone who did either went crazy or appeared so. (He made the mistake of passing on that advice to someone he met at a classics conference, only to discover--you can guess the rest.)

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Quasus dixit:
He can hardly be regarded as a good source for an historian.
He can, if you compare him to Herodotus :p

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes: More, Erasmus and lots of others. Indeed my panic was groundless. I’ve browsed among books at Google lately and I couldn’t help downloading Historia Ecclesiastica Gentis Anglorum, Gesta Anglorum and something else of the sort. Now that I can understand the bulk without a dictionary, I feel the thrill of direct communication through centuries. (Like when I first tried to communicate in a foreign language over the internet: I felt as if I were contacting Martians. :D)

B

Bitmap

Matthaeus dixit:
in the hands of a good latinist, the subjunctive can become a lethal weapon.

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Bitmap dixit:
Matthaeus dixit:
In the hands of a Medieval latinist it gets thrown around without cause or concern. :brickwall2:

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Bitmap dixit:
Matthaeus dixit:
"Sitrep."
"Three dead, no witnesses."
"Cause of death?"
"It appears to have been the subjunctive, Sergeant."
"******! Only a good Latinist could have done this."

I'm sorry. Forgive me.

EricDi

• Patronus

Nikolaos dixit:
"Sitrep."
"Three dead, no witnesses."
"Cause of death?"
"It appears to have been the subjunctive, Sergeant."
"******! Only a good Latinist could have done this."
:p I like it.
Should the chain be called "Reasons to Get a Life"? And do what, know who had the highest batting average in 1967?

(Maybe I should learn how to type and use forum tools properly before I learn Latin. So many errors...)