remember the fallen

B

Bitmap

Re: Need accurate translation

Cicera dixit:
Memento casūs.
no make sense

ERE dixit:
My Marine grandson, now in Afghanistan, needs to get an accurate translation from English to Latin for the phrase "remember the fallen"...this in regard to his now departed buddies...for a tattoo....could use your help.
an option could be memento occisorum

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Casus would refer to their downfalls, not the people themselves. Also, memini takes the genitive (so something like memento praeteritorum).

Cicera

Actually, I was using the noun form of the adjective, in which case, it should be "memento casos," if we were using "casus," meaning "fallen." Sorry. Thought it was a fourth declension, for some random reason.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Imprecator dixit:
Please, that isn't necessary.

Cicera - You're probably thinking of casus, ī as the passive-perfect participle of cadō, ere. However, that particular verb doesn't have a PPP, and as such that word doesn't exist. Also, as Imprecator said, mementō takes the genitive, not the accusative.

B

Bitmap

meminisse may also be constructed with the accusative. It's just that casus, -us means fall rather than fallen

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Nick,

I get cado, cadere, cecidi, casus. The 4th part has limited use then, or would it mean something like "the one having been fallen?"

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Yeah, it's no good?

I see L&S have casurus. I assume that's future active, and *casus doesn't exist?

B

Bitmap

scrabulista dixit:
Yeah, it's no good?
isn't that obvious?

I see L&S have casurus. I assume that's future active, and *casus doesn't exist?
The PPP *casus would not make much sense since you can't really put "to fall" into the passive. Active forms like the PFA that are derived from the PPP exist, though.

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

scrabulista dixit:
Yeah, it's no good?

The verb is intransitive so doesn't have a passive. It would be like saying in English "those having been falled". The OLD gives the 4th principal part as c[a-long:1lg6yuet][/a-long:1lg6yuet]sum but this is the supine of course, not the perfect participle passive.

I think Bitmap is a bit harsh on Words. It's an extremely useful program but can sometimes be misleading and has to be used with caution.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I think that WORDS should always be used with a dictionary - using both together usually works for me.

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

WORDS is a dictionary. I think you mean it should be used in conjunction with a second, more authoritative dictionary. But, yes, I agree with you.