"Remember, they are not your friends"

Tim B

Hello everyone. I wish to print this (as a Latin phrase) and place it on my locker at my work as a regular reminder. I manage 30 staff (men and women) and I need to remember that these people are my employees, not friends, and I should continue to promote a positive worker/manager relationship with each of them. Thanks (again) for your assistance. Tim (Australia)

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Memento illos amicos tuos non esse.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Memento illos amicos tuos non esse.
It's correct for "Remember (that) they are not your friends", but if we wanted to make "they are not your friends" a main clause with "remember" being more parenthetical, as the comma after it in "Remember, they are not your friends" suggests, we would say: memento, non sunt amici tui.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

but if we wanted to make "they are not your friends" a main clause with "remember" being more parenthetical, as the comma after it in "Remember, they are not your friends" suggests, we would say: memento, non sunt amici tui.
I don't get what you mean here. If the speaker isn't implying something like "Remember that they are not your friends", then what could the "Remember" possibly be referring to? Remember what?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

When you say "Remember, they are not your friends", it's of course implied that what you must remember is that they are not your friends, but the link isn't grammatically expressed as when you say "Remember that they are not your friends" or "Remember they are not your friends" without pause after "remember". In the first sentence, "they are not your friends" is grammatically an independent clause, albeit it has a logical link with "remember", whereas in the latter two, "(that) they are not your friends" is grammatically subordinate to "remember".

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

When you say "Remember, they are not your friends", it's of course implied that what you must remember is that they are not your friends, but the link isn't grammatically expressed as when you say "Remember that they are not your friends" or "Remember they are not your friends" without pause after "remember". In the first sentence, "they are not your friends" is grammatically an independent clause, albeit it has a logical link with "remember", whereas in the latter two, "(that) they are not your friends" is grammatically subordinate to "remember".
Hmmm, I would rather consider "Remember, they are not your friends" to simply be sloppy English usage. Technically, it's a comma splice. ;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Whether you use a comma there or (perhaps more properly) a semicolon or colon, in either case the pause should indicate that they are two grammatically independent clauses, unlike "Remember they are not your friends" without any pause marked.

It's similar to "I think it's good" (bonum esse puto) vs. "It's good, I think" (bonum est, puto), where it's perhaps more immediately apparent because of the different word order.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Hmmm, ok, I guess I see what you mean.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I too would favour independent clauses in the Latin, although I think ACI would be a perfectly acceptable solution also.
I'd probably end the first clause with a colon, maybe put the second clause in speech marks, and precede memento with hoc.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hoc, why not, (though it isn't wrong without it, but hoc adds a certain emphasis) but why speech marks? I'm not used to seeing speech marks used in such contexts. We aren't really quoting anyone.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

but why speech marks? I'm not used to seeing speech marks used in such contexts. We aren't really quoting anyone.
Firstly I said "maybe", meaning you can readily see that I wasn't insisting on it, and secondly speech marks might be justified on the grounds that this is a phrase that the OP has presumably uttered to himself and wants to recall habitually. You can see a similar thing here:
Quocirca mecum loquor haec tacitusque recordor: "Si tibi nulla sitim finiret copia lymphae..."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

No need to get angry. :)

Apparently you're interpreting it as "Remember, (saying to yourself) "They are not your friends"", whereas I interpret it differently, as "Remember (what I am telling you now: ) they are not your friends".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

As I haven't been here all that long, is this the first time Aurifex has used a smiley, and is the end of the world nigh?
No, it isn't the first time. It must be something like the sixth time I personally witness the phenomenon, and it each time produces an explosive effect, though not quite the end of the world thus far.

Tim B

Thanks for your assistance. From the outcome of the discussion
Hoc memento: non sunt amici tui.

Am I correct?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

That's fine in my opinion.