Remembering Words!

stdape

I have never been good with languages, but I am slowly learning on Duolingo, which I am enjoying. The one problem I get is remembering Words, some sink in, some are similar to Words nowadays, in my case English. But there are some, I cannot seem to Remember.
Any tips or is this common and the Reason for a Good Dictionary.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Alas, it is common. I personaly try to find similar words in my language and associate them.
e.g. If my mothertongue was English and I needed to remember the word "caput", I'd thing of a large capital letter the shape of a head, like a big, fat, capital O!

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Reading is one of the best ways to familiarise yourself with new words. When you come across the same word again and again in different contexts, in the end you memorise it. That's also the method Duolingo uses.

When learning a new language, I usually get some text (e.g. a newspaper article, or a book, perhaps one for easy reading), underline the words I'm not familiar with, then go back to them later, unless they are really needed to understand what's going on. With an e-reader, like a Kindle, one can look up words right away without looking them up in a dictionary.

I wouldn't get discouraged about looking up the same words again and again. Usually one needs to learn a word a few times before it finally sticks.

stdape

Thanks Guys. Mainly i am interested in reading old Documents for Genealogy and Local History. And have not come across any Drunk Parrots yet lol.
Saying that i do have a Parrot, but try to keep her off the Drink :).
But i do see what Duolingo is doing, in adding words to different Context. Will keep at it, i have finished all the free stuff in Duolingo, but practice each night, to allow my Brain to find a working brain cell.

john abshire

• Patronus

Thanks Guys. Mainly i am interested in reading old Documents for Genealogy and Local History. And have not come across any Drunk Parrots yet lol.
But i do see what Duolingo is doing, in adding words to different Context. Will keep at it, i have finished all the free stuff in Duolingo, but practice each night, to allow my Brain to find a working brain cell.
Probably a good idea to keep a list of words, and make visual associations for memory.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Alas, it is common. I personaly try to find similar words in my language and associate them.
e.g. If my mothertongue was English and I needed to remember the word "caput", I'd thing of a large capital letter the shape of a head, like a big, fat, capital O!
My mother tongue actually is English, and I remember caput by association with capital punishment -- off with his head.

But whatever works, works!

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Reading is one of the best ways to familiarise yourself with new words. When you come across the same word again and again in different contexts, in the end you memorise it. That's also the method Duolingo uses.

When learning a new language, I usually get some text (e.g. a newspaper article, or a book, perhaps one for easy reading), underline the words I'm not familiar with, then go back to them later, unless they are really needed to understand what's going on. With an e-reader, like a Kindle, one can look up words right away without looking them up in a dictionary.

I wouldn't get discouraged about looking up the same words again and again. Usually one needs to learn a word a few times before it finally sticks.
Would you be able to tell me how to get a Latin (Latin-English) dictionary for Kindle???

My current approach is similar -- as I read something, I try to make sense of it without the dictionary, maybe guessing at the meaning of words from context, or ignoring unknown words if the general drift is clear enough, but then looking up the words I actually need to understand the sentence. Sometimes also looking up words that I think I understand, but maybe don't, just to be sure. And when I have looked up the same word often enough, its meaning will stick.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Finding a lot of drunken parrots in Duolinguo???

Mango Languages also has a nice (I want to say nicer) introduction to Latin, which in my case is free through my local public libraries. With readings from classical authors, and (if I remember correctly from DuoLinguo) better pronunciation.

Devenius Dulenius

Civis

• Civis

Some people find flashcards helpful. I'm using the Anki Latin core vocab set. You might check that out and see if it helps.

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Would you be able to tell me how to get a Latin (Latin-English) dictionary for Kindle???
You could download the Collins Latin to English (One Way) Dictionary and Grammar. Once you have done that click on "Settings" -- "All Settings" --Language & Dictionaries" -- "Dictionaries" with subheading Set the default dictionary for each language. Next page shows "English" with subheading Collins Latin - English Dictionary & Grammar.
I'm not sure I actually bought the Collins Latin dictionary. IIRC it downloaded automatically after I had downloaded the Vulgate Bible. The same automatic and free dictionary download happened after I had downloaded German, French, Italian and Russian books.
HTH

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Thanks, Rothbard and Tironis. I don't have time to try it now, but both of your responses look like they will be helpful. I haven't as yet bought or downloaded any Latin (or any foreign language) book from Amazon, so if that all happens automatically, it would be great!