Video Request for translation for our short film with Latin spoken somewhere in Italy in 500 AD

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'll still change a few word orders that may be a bit too literary as well as make a few other changes here and there, while staying in what's completely secure:

V: Oh, inis novum decennium. Gratulor tibi.
V: Recte est, hoc non erit longum.
V: Scio quod doleat, sed oportet fortis sis.
V: Olim tot habebis quot ego.

V: Paratusne?
V: Vt quaeque aestas praeterit, notamus corpora nostra ad memoriam peracti et reliqui nobis temporis.
V: Vitae nostrae in mundo relinquunt notam mansuram, sicut notam in nobismet ipsis relinquimus.

W: Apage te istinc!

V: Magister Benedicte. Licetne de modis tuis percontari?
B: Licet.
V: Ille non est nostrae fasciae**. Totam ferme aestatem hic adfuit, tamen perpauca de illo scimus.
V: Quare sivisti illum nobis se iungere?
V: Scientiam affert de occidente. Nil pro hoc rogat nisi par pari beneficium, ut libros nostros cognoscat.
V: Quid sibi vult?
B: Idem quod nos, credo.

V: Quid mihi fecisti?
V: Cape istud rursum.
V: Audistin me? Solve istam maledictionem!
V: Fac finem istius rei nunc!

Concerning pronunciation, the thing is that the person I had in mind, the one who generally makes all recordings needed on this forum, Matthaeus, is, I think, most proficient in classical pronunciation, which is not the one we need here. I don't know if he would be able and/or willing to do this in something closer to Italian ecclesiastical pronunciation, with the difference that final - m's should be quite faded, hardly pronounced at all?

By the way, is the "you" here indeed supposed to be singular too (I've done it as sigular)?
(V believes he's cursed)
V: What have you done to me?
V: Take it back.
V: Did you hear me? Release this curse!
V: END THIS NOW!

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

And you do need the present relinquimus, "we leave", and not the perfect reliquimus, "we left". And also relinquunt and not *reliquunt which isn't supposed to exist at
all.
Another aorist primary... ach, how I hate thoſe things. :mad: There is nothing ſtupider than having to uſe an ugly dental infix to diſtinguish the preſent. Well... I ſuppose one thing... but I have already once brought a frog deluge down upon myſelf by broaching the ſubject of reduplicating preſents. :rolleyes:

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Already in the time of classical Latin and even before, final - m's were hardly pronounced, so let alone in 500 AD, I think.
Ah thanks. I suspected that because of elision, but was not sure.

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

Already in the time of classical Latin and even before, final - m's were hardly pronounced, so let alone in 500 AD, I think.
There would certainly have come a time, however, and indeed perhaps it were around the time in queſtion, when the claſſical language which ſcholars ſought to preſerve as their language of letters, would have come to be ſeen as ſomething quite different and diſtinct from the vulgar tongues which had devolved from it. The need would then have been ſeen to reſcue Latin from the decay which had overtaken her degenerate daughters, and so the phonemes that had been loſt in the vernacular would have been conſciously reſtored in ſcholarly as well as ritual recitation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

to reſcue Latin from the decay which had overtaken her degenerate daughters
I absolutely love the way you say this kind of things, you know? :D However much it can be rationally counter-argumented, in my heart I agree with you.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Why, they didn't pronounce that?
It might still have been pronounced when the following word began with a consonant, properly assimilated (hence Cicero's claim that cum nobis sounded too much like cunno bis). But when the following word began with a vowel, or when there was no immediately following word because of a pause or sentence break, it's believed that final m was realized merely as a nasalization of the preceding vowel. Whether this nasalization would have been carried through to the next word's initial vowel in the case of elision, I'm not sure.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't really see think it is decay, but maybe he was joking.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I absolutely love the way you say this kind of things, you know? :D However much it can be rationally counter-argumented, in my heart I agree with you.
I have a feeling he just likes the phrase 'degenerate daughters'.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It might still have been pronounced when the following word began with a consonant, properly assimilated (hence Cicero's claim that cum nobis sounded too much like cunno bis). But when the following word began with a vowel, or when there was no immediately following word because of a pause or sentence break, it's believed that final m was realized merely as a nasalization the preceding vowel. Whether this nasalization would have been carried through to the next word's initial vowel in the case of elision, I'm not sure.
Oh, so while reciting poetry if a verse ends in -m I should elide it too? And damn I have to look what nasalization is. :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh, so while reciting poetry if a verse ends in -m I should elide it too? And damn I have to look what nasalization is. :D
It's a weird thing. Have you ever heard how we French-speakers prononce things like "on", "in", "an"...? I don't know if it was as strong in Latin, though.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

If you mean the vowel, no, you definitely still pronounce that. Just the m itself wouldn't be strongly pronounced, if at all. By nasalization of the preceding vowel I mean that it becomes a nasal vowel, as in French or Portuguese for example.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I have a feeling he just likes the phrase 'degenerate daughters'.
Everyone does, except for the parents.
If he was, I think it was only half so.
Well I don't see all this decay anyway. :(
It's a weird thing. Have you ever heard how we French-speakers prononce things like "on", "in", "an"...? I don't know if it was as strong in Latin, though.
Oh I don't know that, too bad. Thanks anyway I'll look into it. :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh I don't know that, too bad. Thanks anyway I'll look into it. :)
If you're curious I could make a recording of French nasalized vowels later... But as I said I'm not sure it sounded exactly the same in Latin.