rock and roll

A

Anonymous

am looking for the translation for rock and roll in latin for tattoo someone has translated it for me as vibra ac volvere is this correct?

A

Anonymous

rock and roll translation in english for tatt

hey can someone please translate rock and roll into latin for me for a tattoo????????? please help me

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Re: rock and roll translation in english for tatt

To avoid confusion, I have merged the two separate threads into one, which is why the request appears twice.

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

It seems to me that this may be something that doesn't translate very well. There is a Latin word for rock of course, and a verb "to roll, spin, rotate" but it just feels odd to me to translate "rock n' roll" because it really had no meaning at all for anyone before approx. 1930-1950ish.

I don't know exactly what I am trying to say here, maybe one of the more knowledgeable Latinists can help me out. To me it would seem odd to tattoo something that in the language of the tattoo means absolutely nothing, but when translated into modern English slang means a specific genre of music just seems odd and confusing. Because, yes, to us "Rock and Roll" means something, but in Latin it does not. We treat "rock" like a verb, "he was rocking," "I will rock you like a hurricane(lolz)," but in Latin they didn't treat rock as a verb, they just thought of rocks as the noun, a rock, or stone.

You could try to find a Latin verb that has a similar meaning as "to rock" maybe something like "to make a musical frenzy" or "to excite oneself and others" or something along those lines, but then you lose the other part of the meaning.

It just seems like a lose-lose thing when you try to translate something that is as contemporary and culturally specific as "rock n' roll."

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

DivinityOfNumber makes an excellent point.

To answer part of your question, however, vibra ac volvere is not correct. If you wanted to use these two words as a command it should be vibra ac volve
If you want it to mean, 'to rock and roll', it would be vibrare ac volvere
If you want it to mean 'rocking and rolling', it would be vibrans ac volvens

These are literal translations using the words you have suggested. They do not imply any of the connotations of the English.