Rogo Forum de Oratione Ciceronis 'In Catilinam'

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

These are the first few lines of the first Catilinarian Oration of Cicero:

Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra? quam diu etiam furor iste tuus nos eludet? quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit audacia?

Which are usually translated as:

When, O Catiline, do you mean to cease abusing our patience? How long is that madness of yours still to mock us? When is there to be an end of that unbridled audacity of yours, swaggering about as it does now?

I can clearly see the question mark in the second sentence in the Latin, but this is how I translate it:

To what place will you finally abuse, Catiline, of our patience? Indeed, as long as that madness of yours will frustrate us!

Is this a possibility, or due to some rule unknown to me, this must be a question? Does 'quam diu' introduce questions also?

Also, could someone break down the third line for me. It stumps me completely at the moment. I'm just not seeing it.

Here's my thought process:

quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit audacia

I rearrange (which I do with sentences I don't get) according to cases:

Ad quem finem, effrenata audacia (tua) iactabit, sese?

And translate:

Up to what boundary will your unbridled boldness jerk about by itself?

Is this right? Am I terribly off course?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Cicero has arranged these words, quo, quam, quem as an anaphora of three questions:
How far
How long
To what boundary

The second sentence is: How long furthermore will that madness of yours frustrate us.

The last sentence is:
Ad quem finem, effrenata audacia (tua) sese iactabit?
Until when will (your) unbridled audacity brandish itself

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Cinefactus has this exactly right. Quam - "how?" is used with adverbs to turn them into a question-phrase: diu = "long", quam diu - "how long".