Russian Russian textbook? your advice

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hola,

I have to start learning Russian again. Not for the fun of it, but for work. And I have to admit, I don't find Russian particularly exciting.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a particularly effective method, not in terms of quick progress, but in terms of keeping you interested! I already have several books which I find really boring...

I know it depends a lot on my personality but I'm sure I can benefit from your comments about the books you've used.

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 13757

Hello,

Most on the internet to whom Russian is not a native tongue advertise Assimil. You could give it a shot.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks! I already have Assimil, it's a great method in many ways but it also has a few drawbacks. I think it's a great way to learn languages like Chinese for example, for which you HAVE to take an intuitive approach because trying to analyse everything just won't work; but the Russian grammar system is just too heavy for this, it cannot really be learnt intuitively like Assimil wants you to do it, at least not for adults, imho.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Care Amice interprete ,
You can try Rosetta Stone Russian. I have little experience with Rosetta Stone Russian, however I can assure you that Rosetta Stone German gave me solid fundaments to broaden my knowledge of German. IMO, if you are considering learning Russian seriously (for occupational reasons), then only formal course in Russian or similar. For example, my managing director signed for such a course (as we have more and more Russian customers and cooperants), I must admit that after 5 months he is able to read e-mails written in russian and he is able to speak russian "quite decently"... of course he has much to learn but he is satisfied. I am sure that if you wish to invest in yourself, then 600-800 Euro for a 1-year course A1/A2 is not a very high price (compared to 1-year A1/A2 business mandarin courses which can reach a price of 1200-1500 Euro)

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thank you Adrian, yes I'll look into Rosetta Stone, never tried it before in any language but I have only heard good things about it. I just hope it won't completely overlap Assimil which I have already completed.

I'd be very interested to know what kind of textbooks are used in Russian departments in your universities, for those of you who have studied Russian at some point?

So I checked out the RS website for Russian, and... oh... that's what it is...
Apparently the Russian CDs include 5 levels, of which only the 5th would be of interest to me. It definitely looks like the ideal method to learn a daily-life, practical, hands-on language that you are going to use in a very short time from now (ordering food at a restaurant, going to the doctor, weighing stuff, etc.). My case is very different: I'm not going to live in Russia anytime soon (so by the time I do, I will have forgotten all these daily phrases that you only ever use in their specific context). My goal is to be able to read newspapers, watch TV and listen to the radio as quickly as possible. Because that's the kind of language I'll be using professionally. Maybe I should have started off by saying this.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

:eek: I’m afraid it’s not a particularly good idea unless you’re an analyst or something like that.
Well, personally I have nothing against Russian TV News - everything is clear and obvious:
1) Evil men want to destroy Russia, but Vladimir Putin will stop them.
2) The economy of Russia is endangered, but Vlidimir Putin will save it
3) It was too cold, Vladimir Putin changed the weather to more pleasant
4) Vladimir Putin is the essence of manhood - he can do everything even operate and find antique vases.
5) Everyone loves Vladimir Putin, those who don't love him quickly change their minds...

D

Deleted member 13757

Well, personally I have nothing against Russian TV News - everything is clear and obvious:
1) Evil men want to destroy Russia, but the Vladimir Putin will stop them.
4) Vladimir Putin is the essence of manhood - he can do everything even operate and find antique vases.
5) Everyone loves Vladimir Putin, those who don't love him quickly change their minds...
You are not allowed to speak Tsar's name...

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

1) Evil men want to destroy Russia, but Vladimir Putin will stop them.
It's only slightly different from what you get on all national TV's throughout this world, but really not that different.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It's only slightly different from what you get on all national TV's throughout this world, but really not that different.
I’m afraid, no. De facto there is no freedom of speech, all the channels broadcast the government’s viewpoint, there is no polemics, etc. Certain channels already make one think of USSR. And TV does what it is to do: people take it seriously and don’t its notice striking absurdity. You just get used. So indeed we live amongst enemies, USA sponsors revolutions in order to seize control of our neighbours (God bless Putin and our people that we haven’t succumbed), Magnitski was a renegate, Americans torture our orphans to death, etc. That’s sad. If you want lulz, you’d better turn to North Korea.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I’m afraid, no. De facto there is no freedom of speech, all the channels broadcast the government’s viewpoint, there is no polemics, etc. Certain channels already make one think of USSR. And TV does what it is to do: people take it seriously and don’t its notice striking absurdity. You just get used. So indeed we live amongst enemies, USA sponsors revolutions in order to seize control of our neighbours (God bless Putin and our people that we haven’t succumbed), Magnitski was a renegate, Americans torture our orphans to death, etc. That’s sad. If you want lulz, you’d better turn to North Korea.
Well I don't know where you live, but just watch some news about the Middle East / Pakistan / China on Foxnews and tell me if you don't hear any lies and misinformed absurdities. I live in the Middle East, and even on French and Spanish channels I hear reports that smack of ideological propaganda that thrives on the ignorance of the masses, who themselves think they are educated and knowledgeable.

Freedom of speech? Yes of course, as long as the people you want to criticize are not the ones sponsoring/funding/owning you as a channel or a newspaper. And that's true in Europe, true in the US, it's not typical of Russia by any means... The only slight difference I was talking about is in the outward form it takes. This type of manipulation and brainwashing is more obvious, and dare I say less insidious and stealthy in Russia than in 'the West'.

So the bottom line for me is that it wouldn't be a problem because I'm used to never taking the media for granted, it's normal and fine by me, as long as they don't talk too fast :) (but yeah I know they do, I remember a radio channel called 'lighthouse' or 'beacon' or something like thatin Russian, I had to download the shows and slow them down with Wavepad to be able to catch a few words...)

D

Deleted member 13757

I remember a radio channel called 'lighthouse' or 'beacon' or something like thatin Russian, I had to download the shows and slow them down with Wavepad to be able to catch a few words...)
Yeah :) Радио Маяк :)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Freedom of speech? Yes of course, as long as the people you want to criticize are not the ones sponsoring/funding/owning you as a channel or a newspaper. And that's true in Europe, true in the US, it's not typical of Russia by any means... The only slight difference I was talking about is in the outward form it takes. This type of manipulation and brainwashing is more obvious, and dare I say less insidious and stealthy in Russia than in 'the West'.
I'm not sure whether I've understood you correctly, but there is one safeguard that stands above the influence of media manipulation, and that is the rule of law. Countries inevitably vary in the degree to which the rule of law holds sway.

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well I don't know where you live, but just watch some news about the Middle East / Pakistan / China on Foxnews and tell me if you don't hear any lies and misinformed absurdities.
Fox News's news is generally pretty accurate. It's the talk shows that skew things this way or the other.

I'm not sure whether I've understood you correctly, but there is one safeguard that stands above the influence of media manipulation, and that is the rule of law. Countries inevitably vary in the degree to which the rule of law holds sway.
Well, there's a difference between being paid to say something and being paid not to say something. Obviously it ought to be illegal to force the media knowingly to spread false information; to hide negative publicity about oneself, not so much. The idea seems absurd to me that a channel or newspaper ought to have the right to criticize their sponsors without the sponsors' having the right to withdraw their sponsorship. Then again, in this day and age it's considered proper to require a justifiable reason for dismissing one's own employees, so anything is possible.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

interprete, it’s a good point about money. But the freedom of speech does not automatically ensure impartiality, etc. On the contrary, in a democracy media is a battle field, and you are likely to find all kinds of bias, etc. However, the freedom implies that in principle you have options what to say and what to hear, that multiple viewpoints can be expressed and an individual can judge them ex aequo et bono. Here in Russia we don’t have democracy, and the media are monopolised by the government.

Anyway, Russian TV is not restricted to news. :D There are plenty of e. g. stupid criminal films and soaps.

I’m really sorry for the offtopic. :confused:

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks for the insight, but having lived in several 'non-democracies' (though not Russia), I still think that as they say, the grass is always greener...

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Books are not the only option. "Pillow training" is not a bad method either, provided you are free to do that and have to be for long stays in Russia.
For me they are the only option... as I was saying, I'm not moving to Russia anytime soon... so any suggestion, in English or French, is welcome!