Saint Michael Protect Us

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone. I was looking for a translation for "Saint Michael Protect Us" or "Saint Michael Protect Me". Thanks for your help.

Steve

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Perhaps:
Sancte Michaele, custodi nos (protect us)
or: custodi me (protect me)

Could someone correct me on the vocative for Michaelis? I could not find this anywhere..

Is this translation for a prayer Steve?

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

pretty generally, i think, only 2nd declension masculine nouns have a seperate vocative form. If Micaelis were *Micaelus then the vocative would be as you suggested.

or how about:

Sancte Micaelis, qui custos es mei,
me tibi commissum pietate superna;
hac nocte illumina, custodi, rege, et guberna.
Amen.

:) me gusta.

-Jon

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Specifically on the declension of Michael: In an old litany I find as the vocative Sancte Michael (no ending on the name). In the familiar old Confiteor we have Cofiteor Deo omnipotenti, beatae Mariae semper virgini, beato Michaeli Archangelo... (The name is dative here, of course). We can reconcile these two by supposing the word to be Michael, Michaelis.

So the vocative, as per the litany, would be Michael, wth no ending.

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Is the phrase actually intended to be a direct address? I would parse it as "May Saint Michael protect us", which suggests third-person future imperative, doesn't it?

I don't know how these style phrases are usually rendered (except that the motto of the city of London is "Domine dirige nos", which would suggest direct address as you've done...hmm...).

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Marius-the form you're thinking of would be the third person present subjunctive being used in a jussive sense, which is basically the "Let's" usage. So it might be Sanctus Michael (or perhaps Μιχαελ, if I got my Greek spelling correct) nos custodiat, if you aren't speaking directly to Saint Michael. And yes, Greek is often intermixed with Latin on random occasions, especially in Cicero.

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ah, cool. Modern Spanish would also use the present subjunctive (sometimes introduced with "que" ("that"): "Que San Miguel nos proteja"); I just wasn't sure how old that construction was.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Marius Magnus dixit:
Ah, cool. Modern Spanish would also use the present subjunctive (sometimes introduced with "que" ("that"): "Que San Miguel nos proteja"); I just wasn't sure how old that construction was.
Don't you mean nosotros? I don't know Spanish very well, so I could be wrong about that.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response from everyone....It's kinda for a prayer or saying I guess. I wanted to get it as a tattoo as he is the patron saint of military/police officers......

tnx again....

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

quemquem me facis dixit:
Marius Magnus dixit:
Don't you mean nosotros? I don't know Spanish very well, so I could be wrong about that.
No. "Nosotros" (literally "nos otros", or "we others") is used only as a subject pronoun or the object of a preposition. Objects of verbs are expressed by enclitic pronouns in Spanish (however, when the pronoun occurs before the verb, it is written as a seperate word: "lo me dices" ("You are telling me it") vs. "dímelo!" ("Tell me it!")). The subject pronouns are {yo, tú, él/ella, nosotros, vosotros, ellos/ellas}, but the enclitic pronouns are {me, te, lo/la (acc.) le/le (dat.) se/se (refl.), nos, os (not vos!), los/las (acc.) les/les (dat.) se/se (refl.)}. The pronouns mí and tí also exist as the objects of prepositions; otherwise the subject pronouns are used after prepositions. And then there are the special forms "conmigo" ("with me"), "contigo" ("with you"), and "consigo" ("with him/her/itself"), which ultimately derive from Latin "mecum", "tecum", "secum" (with a redundant cum- prepended).

In some areas, "nos" and "vos" are still used as subject pronouns rather than "nosotros" and "vosotros". In other areas, "vos" is still used, but is singular, takes its own special verb conjugations, has a meaning even more familiar than "tú", and generally is considered lower-class or uneducated speech.

Everything you always wanted to know about Spanish pronouns and more, eh? :p

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

There's nothing wrong with the subjunctive, but vocative with an imperative is -- or was-- very common in Catholic prayer. You might be interested, stevo, in one of the prayers that used to be said after a low mass, prescribed by Leo XIII for the church in Russia:

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitatem et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus; supplices deprecamur: tuque, Princeps militae coelestis, Satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute in infernum detrude.

(Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our protection against the wiles and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray: and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast into hell Satan and the other evil spirits who roam through the world, seeking the ruin of souls).

Isn't that great? They just don't write prayers like that any more.

A

Anonymous

Wow, that is great....it is too bad they don't write like that anymore.....Thanks for that lil prayer though.....