Save my life translating this passage

Mark nas

Hi! Guys,
I have final exam tomorrow..

and I wish if anyone can help me translating this passage.. He will save my life :(

Please :pray:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It would be against forum rules (which you can read here). :(

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You can't delete a thread. However, if you post your own attempt at translating, we can give you some hints as to what you've got wrong.

Mark nas

fare enough.. I will do that ;)

I tried the first passage ... What you think?

Juluis Caesar finally returned to Rome from Africa. Four years of civil war now, a civil war throughout the whole world, and he had conquered the entire world. So he led the triumphs. When Gaius heard about the triumph, he said to his son, “If you want to see the commander and his soldiers, we must wake up in first light.”
The next day, when raised, they are ready to leave quickly. They hurried to the market without delay. When they arrived, a huge crowd was already present.

Soon after the triumphal procession approached. Gaius and his son could hear spectator’s shouts. The first soldiers arrived then the wagons passed, which carried the spoils of war. One of the wagons show them this title: I came, I saw, I conquered. After the wagons, prisoners marched through the streets. Finally, the emperor Caesar himself arrived. While Caesar's chariot passed Gaius, suddenly the axis brake. Caesar himself almost fell to the ground, but without a delay he jumped out of the chariot and the capitol climbed up by his foots. All the men shouted in joy.

Attachments

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Just looking at the first bit:

Juluis Caesar finally returned to Rome from Africa. Four years of civil war now, a civil war throughout the whole world, and he had conquered the entire world. So he led the triumphs.
The first sentence is good. In the next two, you've left out some words (gesserat and constituit), and repeated some others, which has changed the meaning slightly. Don't do this! Every single word is essential. ;)

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

When Gaius heard about the triumph, he said to his son, “If you want to see the commander and his soldiers, we must wake up in first light.”
The next day, when raised, they are ready to leave quickly. They hurried to the market without delay. When they arrived, a huge crowd was already present.
"In first light" -> more like at first light.
"When raised" -> you've translated this passively, but it's active in meaning.
Paraverunt = more like "they prepared, they made ready" (to leave, etc.) not "they are ready".

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Soon after the triumphal procession approached. Gaius and his son could hear spectator’s shouts. The first soldiers arrived then the wagons passed, which carried the spoils of war. One of the wagons show them this title: I came, I saw, I conquered. After the wagons, prisoners marched through the streets. Finally, the emperor Caesar himself arrived. While Caesar's chariot passed Gaius, suddenly the axis brake. Caesar himself almost fell to the ground, but without a delay he jumped out of the chariot and the capitol climbed up by his foots. All the men shouted in joy.
In this part, you mostly have the right idea but sometimes your English isn't grammatically correct. E.g. "the spectators' shouts" (not "spectator's shouts" -> that implies there's only one spectator!), "one of the wagons showed" (not show! wrong tense!), "the axis broke" (not "brake"), "ascended on foot" (not "climbed up by his foots.")

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Also, "in conspectum veniebat" is a bit more elaborate than simply "arrived"; try translating it literally.

Mark nas

Thanks again ;) .. and english grammar mistakes will appear when you are learning Latin with your third language "English" :(

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Thanks again ;) .. and english grammar mistakes will appear when you are learning Latin with your third language "English" :(
No worries. I was thinking English probably wasn't your first language -- what is? (Just curious.) :)

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Not bad
I wrote this without seeing Callaina's posts, so she probably covered some of the same things:

p.1

gesserat ( < gero, gerere ) has been left out
constitere there means ‘to decide’
the phrase is ‘at first light’ i.e. at dawn
‘they [were] ready to’ works fine; if the teacher demands literal translations, then ‘they prepared to’
forum isn’t quite ‘market,’ more like central square

p.2

primum is an adverb (if it were an adjective describing the soldiers, it’d’ve been primi)

we could translate ‘exhibebant’ as just 'had' or 'bore'. again, depends on how literal the teacher is.

Caesar wasn’t quite an emperor, and the passage doesn’t mention the word, so I’d remove it. It does however mention in conspectum, which we should translate. (nominative: conspectus)

in English the word is ‘axle,’ like in cars.
‘[while Caesar’s chariot] was passing’
the phrase is ‘by foot’

capitolinum is the object of ‘climbed [or went] up’

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

First language is "Tamazight" :)
Very cool; I'm pretty sure I'd heard of Tamazight, but I knew/little nothing about it. It's great that you're learned English well enough to learn Latin in English now :D

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

we could translate ‘exhibebant’ as just 'had' or 'bore'.
I would have said "was showing" or "displayed" (closer to the meaning in Latin, and it works perfectly idiomatically in English as well...)

Mark nas

:) Yeah it was a though last year dealing with english :mad: hahaha .. and now I'm struggling with Latin as well .. But we gonna make sooner or later ;)