Scaldeurium>Scalduvrium

Przibram

Hi! I am intrigued by the suffix -urium and -uvrium from this toponimy. Some say that Latin opera>overa>uvria. This happened in French, where opera>oeuvre but I am not sure opera>uvrio(um) is viable. Does anybody has any hints on this?

Anbrutal Russicus

There's also a more conservative spelling attested as Scaldobrium. From the French wikipedia:
Scaldis peut être interprété comme «rivière coulant au milieu des marais». Le nom Escaudœuvres peut évoquer une fortification sur l'Escaut, ou encore un atelier ou une fabrique (du latin Scaldis opera), comme dans les noms Vandœuvre-lès-Nancy ou Deneuvre. Il pourrait s'agir aussi d'un pont ou d'un passage de l'Escaut, Scaldo-briva, comme dans Samarobriva (Amiens), pont de la Somme, du mot gaulois brive ou briva, «pont», ou encore d'un fortin ou d'un camp retranché, ce qui ferait d'«Escaudœuvres» une «forteresse sur la rivière coulant au milieu des marais».
that is:
Scaldis can be interpreted as “river flowing in the middle of marshes”. The name Escaudœuvres can evoke a fortification on the Escaut, or even a workshop or a factory (from the Latin Scaldis opera), as in the names Vandeuvre-lès-Nancy or Deneuvre. It could also be a bridge or a crossing on the Escaut, Scaldo-briva, as in Samarobriva (Amiens), bridge of the Somme, from the Gallic word brive or briva, "bridge", or even a fort or fortified camp, which would make “Escaudœuvres” a “fortress on the river flowing in the middle of the marshes”.
I'd say the "bridge" etymology is the preferred one as an extremely common naming pattern in that region, and with Escaudœuvres being a phonetically regular outcome of Scaldobrĭ(v)um. The u in Scaldeurium stands for the consonant /v/. I don't believe "uvria" has ever been a word or a suffix.

Last edited: