Schematizing Prose

AVGVSTA

Quantum superposition between future and antiquity
Hi all
I used to be very reliant on schematizing, but also very efficient when I use it to help me reading. One of my Latin teachers last year convinced me not to schematize/diagram when reading prose. That wasn't a problem since we were doing poetry except for a term where I read Petronius with tons of glossing/annotation. I'm in a new school now, and I'm trying to avoid schematizing prose. I was doing great when we read Caesar last term and when I read Seneca excerpts with commentary. Problem is, I'm in a Cicero class this term and though I thought I improved, I felt so helpless reading some of his periods without marking up. Should I go back to schematizing? Is it a mortal sin to diagram prose?

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

I used to do it when I was in school but I don't think I've even been tempted to for years. Normally when I can't read a sentence it's because I don't know some of the vocab or the context.

I think if you read a sentence first in a normal way and can't understand the logical sequence, it can't hurt... maybe try doing it in an unobtrusive way, eg. with a few brackets but not a really elaborate diagram. But also it often happens that if you read the sentence two or three times it suddenly clicks, without needing to diagram it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

While the ideal situation is, of course, being able to read fluently, if you find yourself stuck with a sentence, I guess whatever helps you to figure it out can't be a sin. So, if this diagram thing works for you in such cases, why not? Hopefully you'll need it less and less often with practice.

AVGVSTA

Quantum superposition between future and antiquity
Thanks! Honestly, sometimes I'd get the sentence if I read it through once more. I'll try to diagram unobtrusively when necessary. I was trained to diagram every single word; honestly most of that doesn't help the understanding, now it's just a bad coping mechanism for insecurity...