Se lumen proferre

mfexwr

This is my school's motto and back when I was attending I was told it meant "the light will guide me". Recently I saw a text from the school website with a translation (to Spanish) roughly meaning "to project oneself into the light", which I thought was a bit different.

Looking around this site, I realize neither is probably right and I would very much appreciate any help understanding what would be the literal translation and if possible the most likely meaning (if any can be derived just from the phase itself).

I truly appreciate any help; this translation is just for personal satisfaction. I‘m not by far a web/search savvy person and I could not find any help until I found you. Thanks so much for a great site I very much enjoyed spending a few hours perusing it today.

mfexwr

I'm pretty sure, it is on my diploma (and all over the school's papers). It is usually between quotations, I'm not sure that makes any difference.
-that was fast, thank you!-

voxlarsi

It should probably be: "selume proferre", which means "towards the light".

B

Bitmap

voxlarsi dixit:
It should probably be: "selume proferre", which means "towards the light".
What's the point of this spam?

mfexwr dixit:
I'm pretty sure, it is on my diploma (and all over the school's papers). It is usually between quotations, I'm not sure that makes any difference.
-that was fast, thank you!-
If proferre has a reflexive pronoun with it, it is not really logical for it to take yet another direct object. I suppose in this case, what you have is a double nominative (or probably even a double accusative-subject depending on how you understand the infinitive) meaning "to rise (as a) light"

voxlarsi

Bitmap dixit:
What's the point of this spam?
Spam? :shock: I've heard the phrase before, and so I assume it's a quite frequently used quotation. At least give mfexwr a chance to check if he spelt correctly before making accusations.
Anyway, it wasn't my intention to be high and mighty about this, so the more experienced members should have their word in this; don't take me for a latin professor.

B

Bitmap

voxlarsi dixit:
At least give mfexwr a chance to check if he spelt correctly before making accusations.
Sorry, I was distracted by the fact that selume is not a Latin word at all

voxlarsi

Bitmap dixit:
Sorry, I was distracted by the fact that selume is not a Latin word at all
No need to be upset. I've read this phrase somewhere, but it might have been written by a dumbass. I didn't make any grammatical analysis of the phrase, I just wrote it down from memory. If it's incorrect, then I don't know any more than you wrote, so I'll shaddap. :whistle:

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I'm pretty sure it means "Show yourself as a light" or "Offer yourself as a light" i.e. to the world.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

voxlarsi dixit:
No need to be upset. I've read this phrase somewhere, but it might have been written by a dumbass. I didn't make any grammatical analysis of the phrase, I just wrote it down from memory. If it's incorrect, then I don't know any more than you wrote, so I'll shaddap. :whistle:
It gets an awful lot of hits, so presumably a multitude of dumbasses are to blame, though most likely there's a single source (dumbasses tend to repeat what other dumbasses say uncritically).

Perhaps it's this risible "Latin Sayings List" (latinsayings.info). About half the list is incorrect and/or stupid. I especially like "Torre et Ursi meritant pecuniment sed Porky non" which is supposed to mean "The bulls and the bears deserve to make money but the pigs deserve nothing." That's right, they translated "pigs" as "Porky" in Latin. The mind boggles.

B

Bitmap

Imber Ranae dixit:
(dumbasses tend to repeat what other dumbasses say uncritically).
Hahaha! I love that comment.

Would you mind me repeating that quote in my signature? :)

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Bitmap dixit:
Hahaha! I love that comment.

Would you mind me repeating that quote in my signature? :)
Go ahead.

ETA: Just to be clear, my comment wasn't aimed at you personally, Voxlarsi. No offense intended.

B

Bitmap

Imber Ranae dixit:
Perhaps it's this risible "Latin Sayings List".
What a great site!

Imber Ranae dixit:
About half the list is incorrect and/or stupid
I think they're just "semper gumby" about the "merda taurorum" they're creating :)

voxlarsi

Imber Ranae dixit:
Perhaps it's this risible "Latin Sayings List". About half the list is incorrect and/or stupid. I especially like "Torre et Ursi meritant pecuniment sed Porky non" which is supposed to mean "The bulls and the bears deserve to make money but the pigs deserve nothing." That's right, they translated "pigs" as "Porky" in Latin. The mind boggles.
:hysteric:
Had I read that one, I might have smelled the fuse. Think I read it on another page, so it's probably someone who copy/pasted the thing. Guess some criticism needs giving when reading quotations on hobby web pages.
Imber Ranae dixit:
ETA: Just to be clear, my comment wasn't aimed at you personally, Voxlarsi. No offense intended.
None taken. If someone screws up, it's allowed to make fun of them :D

B

Bitmap

taurorum quereris merdam conscribere culos
stultos: te gumbym non satis esse probas!

mfexwr

I think you guys lost me,

So...if the spelling is wrong I don't know, but not likely. I do know it is certainly not a joke and it was not copied from a website since it has been used by the school way before internet time.

Imber Ranae dixit:
I'm pretty sure it means "Show yourself as a light" or "Offer yourself as a light" i.e. to the world.
Imber Ranae suggestion is a pretty good description of the Spanish “Projectarse en Luz” which is the translation the school is offering.

I appreciate the discussion especially regarding the type of words these are