Shit happens. Live with it

A

Anonymous

Wondering if anybody knows the latin translation of:

'Shit happens. Live with it'

My original guess was 'stercus accidit. vive com eo', problem is that I'm not sure if its grammatically correct..haha...Anyways, I'm just planning on getting this tattooed on me, so it imprative I get this right?

Any takers out there?

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Vulgarities are truly a difficult thing to translate from language to language, because even when their literal meanings (in this case, fecal matter) may be the same, their metaphorical usages (in this case, bad/annoying things) are very different. "Live with it" is also extremely idiomatic and thus presents a problem.
In short, I really can't help you very well, but to use the words you tried to use, "com" would be "cum", which I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't especially want tattoed on you (compare the guys who didn't want homo tattoed on them). I'm always amused about that usage of the word and perplexed about how it got from "with, when, where" to that.
But this really doesn't do what you want anyway, because stercus is a rather technical term; it's almost like you're saying "feces happens" rather than "shit happens"...

Marius Magnus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Wikipedia has a page all about Latin profanity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_profanity

The word for "shit" was merda. I don't see it declined in any examples, but I would assume it's first declension, feminine (its cognates in Spanish and French are feminine).

Of course, there is still the issue that "shit happens" probably wouldn't translate directly, anyway.

A

Anonymous

After taking your advices...it looks like having 'shit' in latin put into a proper sentence is problematic. In the end I've decided to go for something more tangable on having 'Life happens. Live with it'

Would the correction translation be: 'Vita contin gi. Vive cum eo'

I"m asking this because when type this phrase in google, I see it sometimes 'contin gi' is conjoined together into 'contin gi', is that of any importance or that it doesn't matter at all?

Don't want to screw up if this is going on my skin.

Suggestions?

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

I have found this site, which purports to be a collection of everyday expressions in latin, some of which are clearly culled from Henry Beard's amusing books "Latin for All Occasions" and "Latin for Even More Occasions". They quote the phrase as:

Vita contingit. Vive cum eo. - "Life happens. Live with it."

I sure hope this isn't one of Beard's, because that eo should be ea IMO. Some of the others on this page seem to have typos as well...

PandaSpoon

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Noli me vocate, ego te vocabo.

like this one ^_^

this error made me grrr

its supposed to be

Noli me vocare, ego te vocabo.

I

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

A tad self-centric eh Lethe? Using the word ego there.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

merda, merdae N F
dung, excrement; (rude);