sick of homer- better place to start?

Filius Volcani

So I am not enjoying reading Homer. i hate poetry and i especially hate how he ignores the rules whenever it suites him. I am always dealing with words whose endings dont match any of the tables. and i just have to shrug and move on accepting on faith what Perseus says it is without learning anything. (προσέφη from line 216 is a great example (wait is that root aorist? perseus said it was imperfect))
is there a more straight and direct book for a beginner? herodotus maybe or Daphnis & Chloe?
thanks

here was the straw that broke this camel's back, lines 215 216 and 217:
τὴν δ᾽ ἀπαμειβόμενος προσέφη πόδας ὠκὺς Ἀχιλλεύς:
χρὴ μὲν σφωΐτερόν γε θεὰ ἔπος εἰρύσσασθαι
a necessity [it is] to preserve yalls' word goddess
καὶ μάλα περ θυμῷ κεχολωμένον: ὧς γὰρ ἄμεινον:
and very very angered in the heart:...

Apparently 217 gets translated as "...no matter how angry he may be at heart"
thats just too much of a stretch for me to accept.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I am always dealing with words whose endings dont match any of the tables.
Yes, it's frustrating; everyone who's read Homer has been there. But the tables you're referring to were probably not designed with Homer in mind.
προσέφη from line 216 is a great example (wait is that root aorist?
You were right! It is in fact a root aorist. Perseus is very useful, but not infallible.
thats just too much of a stretch for me to accept.
It helps to acquaint yourself with these obnoxious particles that appear in every single line. Here I think you've missed that περ, while originally an emphatic particle much like γε, is used (often in conjunction with a participle, as here) to denote 'concession', hence the translation. Also, the particle καί here is best translated 'even'. Let's rearrange:

χρὴ/need (is that) καὶ/even μάλα/much περ/(although) θυμῷ/in heart κεχολωμένον/angered εἰρύσσασθαι/preserve
Need (is that) even very (although) in heart him who is angry to preserve

"It behooves a man, though he be very wroth in his heart, to preserve..."

I really don't know what direction to point you in, but I can advise that you be patient, stand back & appreciate how much you've learned even to be capable of this much. This stuff is not child's play.

Big Horn

Xenophon is a good author for both the tyro or the more advanced. Check the various editions of The Anabasis.