Status Thread

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Whoa, is the klo maybe short for 'water closet'?

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Hmm, that sounds unlovely. Is it short for something?
Dixi is the name its inventor (an American soldier stationed in Germany) gave it; Klo is a colloquial term for toilet, and as you guessed correctly, it's short for Klosett (which nobody ever says).

You can obviously give it more formal names like mobile Toilettenkabine.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
One manufacturer from Scranton, Pennsylvania (famous in the US because of the ripoff show The Office) has the admittedly cute brand name 'Hiny Hiders' (the word 'hiny' is a sort of hypocorism for 'buttocks', from the word 'behind' which, when used in this sense, is accented on the first syllable /'bi-haind/).

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
I have never heard the word stressed on the penult in that sense in the US. Of course, it's a big place, and things may have changed.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
One manufacturer from Scranton, Pennsylvania (famous in the US because of the ripoff show The Office) has the admittedly cute brand name 'Hiny Hiders' (the word 'hiny' is a sort of hypocorism for 'buttocks', from the word 'behind' which, when used in this sense, is accented on the first syllable /'bi-haind/).
I've heard that used by a few women in Glasgow, but I didn't know it was an Americanism.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
It's true that it doesn't have to be so stressed, but that's usually the procedure to emphasize that one is talking about a noun, as opposed to something else. Which goes to show that speakers are at some level conscious of a (rather useful!) rule. E.g. refuse and refuse.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
It's also plain emphasis.
"Get your bee-hind in the car, young lady!"
You'll hear that from time to time.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I've heard that used by a few women in Glasgow, but I didn't know it was an Americanism.
I guess I just assumed, but maybe it is Old World.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I guess I just assumed, but maybe it is Old World.
I suppose it's hard to say, but I haven't heard it very often at all so it might be something picked up over here from films and TV.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Come to think of it, the word 'ass' is sometimes stretched into two syllables for emphasis (specially by black people), sic:
æ-yuss
So also 'damn', as in:
'Dayum, son. You finna take alladat?'

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
:redface:

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
:singing:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Not entirely sure why the oft meeting grounds for this sort of thing are toilets but they do appear to crop up a fair bit. Even well-known people like the late George Michael did it. I think it's called cottaging.
Indeed, it is cottaging. I wonder what the thought process is. Definitely a unique experience.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Is there much to wonder at here? A toilet is a natural place to go if you're looking to do something that might raise a few eyebrows, and attract the attention of the police, if it were done in public. See also drug addicts.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Is there much to wonder at here? A toilet is a natural place to go if you're looking to do something that might raise a few eyebrows, and attract the attention of the police, if it were done in public. See also drug addicts.

Indeed, it is cottaging. I wonder what the thought process is. Definitely a unique experience.
Men's public toilets are just so gross but I suppose where else could they meet spontaneously for this type of thing away from the public eye. I think it's disgusting personally and I imagine most gays stick to the bars and online. Maybe there's an excitement element at play too but public toilets are so grim I struggle to see any appeal whatsoever.

But let's play Devil's advocate. If women were meeting lads in men's public toilets, how many single chaps, who deem the bogs brutal in both smell and appearance, *would go? I imagine the number would be legion.

edit *would

Last edited: