Status Thread

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Today sees the start of my new job. It's not the one I applied for and posted about on here but another; a handyman and cleaner for 18 homeless shelters. It's 35 hours a week leaving me with a considerable amount of time midweek to have a life (I've already rejoined tennis) plus the weekends which are all mine.
Was wondering what happened about the job you applied for. But anyway, feliciter cedat, quod instituisti!

Godmy

A Monkey
The midnight passed here... which means I'm 30 now!

My my, the times flies... I was merely 19 (albeit just for one more month) when I joined here!

I'm just thinking of it how 10 years from now (luckily) I will be remembering 30 with a tear in my eye :D (don't get me wrong, 40's still great!!)
I'm going to enjoy this decade!

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
Happy Birthday! And brace yourself for the time warp!

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Happy birthday!

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Belated Happy Birthday Wishes, amice.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
It's still the 17th, at least here, unless the newest technology allows you to post from the future. Happy birthday, Godmy. In just over three years you'll be a third of a century old.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
The local bike shop is evidently swamped, & they told me it'd take them a week or more to replace my brake pads (which I'm sure takes them like 15 minutes), so I'm gonna have a go at it myself. Really hope I don't screw the proverbial pooch, as it could cost me more than just my time.

But then again, if the thing falls off while I'm going top speed, with any luck my bald pate will roll me to my destination. :hat:

Godmy

A Monkey
Thanks very much, everyone!
It's still the 17th, at least here, unless the newest technology allows you to post from the future. Happy birthday, Godmy. In just over three years you'll be a third of a century old.
Haha, indeed. And, reportedly, some day in the upcoming September, I should hit 10 000 days of age!

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
The local bike shop is evidently swamped, & they told me it'd take them a week or more to replace my brake pads (which I'm sure takes them like 15 minutes), so I'm gonna have a go at it myself. Really hope I don't screw the proverbial pooch, as it could cost me more than just my time.

But then again, if the thing falls off while I'm going top speed, with any luck my bald pate will roll me to my destination. :hat:
Bikes must have changed since I last had one. I always did my own brakes etc. - mainly because there was no one else to do it for me.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Bikes must have changed since I last had one.
Maybe so, but it seems very simple (if I only had the right tools). The other problem is that it's the back brakes that need replacing, & I have this mounted platform thing getting in the way. I've never taken off the wheel, but I think that would hardly help.

Are they quick release? If you've not got disc breaks on them then the likelihood is they're not quick release wheels.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
No, they're certainly not. All is held together by bolts 'n screws on this cheapo thing, I'm afraid.

Currently admiring the 20th-century furniture designs of G Plan. Their vintage sideboards are quite charming to me and I'm wondering if they'd be a good investment. A typical 1960s sideboard seems to be going for around the £400 mark. This one below is £575 and too much for me regardless of its appreciation potential.

Still, a classy looking piece to my mind.
PicsArt_08-27-09.33.08.png

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Currently admiring the 20th-century furniture designs of G Plan. Their vintage sideboards are quite charming to me and I'm wondering if they'd be a good investment. A typical 1960s sideboard seems to be going for around the £400 mark. This one below is £575 and too much for me regardless of its appreciation potential.

Still, a classy looking piece to my mind.
View attachment 10832
Is it solid wood or veneer? Yes, nice looking, but not sure I'd ever buy furniture from that period for investment. But that's just me - probably wrong attitude.

It seems no time at all to me that that kind of thing was being skipped!
Funnily enough I showed a G Plan (wilkins model) to my partner tonight that was in good nick and going for £700, making the remark on how many had likely gone into skips over the years.